May 16, 2014, 10:05 AM EST
When ex-USC guard Byron Wesley graduates this summer, he’ll have immediate eligibility. Couple that with the numbers he posted this past season with the Trojans, and the 6-foot-5 Wesley is one of the most coveted transfers left on the market.
Jamie Dixon is looking to replace Lamar Patterson and his 17.6 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game. May 16 became an important date for the Panthers, the date Wesley scheduled for his visit. One problem: he canceled, according to a tweet from Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.
There’s was no explanation as to why he decided not to travel to Pittsburgh.
Wesley had previously visited Gonzaga and Oklahoma State. When he was in Spokane, the Zags didn’t have a scholarship to offer him. That quickly changed on Monday evening when Gerard Coleman elected to transfer after one season on the floor with the Bulldogs. Oklahoma State is looking to pair Wesley with Phil Forte in the back court after Markel Brown exhausted his eligibility, Marcus Smart declared for the draft, Stevie Clark was dismissed, Brian Williams transferred and Jared Terrell was granted his release from his National Letter of Intent.
Wesley, who averaged 17.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game, is listed as the fourth best available recruit.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)