May 16, 2014, 10:05 AM EST
When ex-USC guard Byron Wesley graduates this summer, he’ll have immediate eligibility. Couple that with the numbers he posted this past season with the Trojans, and the 6-foot-5 Wesley is one of the most coveted transfers left on the market.
Jamie Dixon is looking to replace Lamar Patterson and his 17.6 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game. May 16 became an important date for the Panthers, the date Wesley scheduled for his visit. One problem: he canceled, according to a tweet from Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.
There’s was no explanation as to why he decided not to travel to Pittsburgh.
Wesley had previously visited Gonzaga and Oklahoma State. When he was in Spokane, the Zags didn’t have a scholarship to offer him. That quickly changed on Monday evening when Gerard Coleman elected to transfer after one season on the floor with the Bulldogs. Oklahoma State is looking to pair Wesley with Phil Forte in the back court after Markel Brown exhausted his eligibility, Marcus Smart declared for the draft, Stevie Clark was dismissed, Brian Williams transferred and Jared Terrell was granted his release from his National Letter of Intent.
Wesley, who averaged 17.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game, is listed as the fourth best available recruit.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)