May 17, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
During the 2013-14 season, one of the biggest attention-grabbers in college basketball was the Sports Illustrated cover featuring Creighton’s Doug McDermott that was a recreation of the cover that featured Larry Bird back in 1979. While Bird played well enough at Indiana State to eventually have the Missouri Valley Conference name its Player of the Year award in his honor, McDermott won the award in 2013 before the Bluejays made the move to the Big East.
In his lone season in the Big East, McDermott earned Big East Player of the Year honors and every major individual honor he was eligible for nationally.
With his status as the best player in college basketball, the cover spot was certainly deserved. However according to Jay King of Masslive.com, McDermott wasn’t so sure about the idea when first approached. The winner of most of college basketball’s major individual awards discussed this at the NBA’s pre-Draft Combine on Thursday.
“They contacted me about it. And I was like, ‘Are you sure you want to do a remake of the greatest to play?’” he recalled, smiling. “They kind of laughed about it; they thought it’d be really cool. I guess Larry even thought it was pretty sweet too. That was a fun little deal that I’ll have for the rest of my life. He didn’t (contact me) but I just heard from the rumors that he saw it. But I hope to someday meet him and ask him about it. He’s a guy I watch a lot of film on. I’ve read some of his books. So he’s definitely a guy I’ve been following for a while.”
McDermott’s stated on multiple occasions that Bird is a player whose old highlights he studies on a regular basis, but he also noted in the story that he’s felt that those who make comparisons between the two were “crazy” considering what Bird accomplished throughout his basketball career.
McDermott, who’s expected to be a lottery pick in next month’s draft, did have to endure his share of good-natured ribbing from his teammates as well and that’s to be expected.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)