May 17, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
During the 2013-14 season, one of the biggest attention-grabbers in college basketball was the Sports Illustrated cover featuring Creighton’s Doug McDermott that was a recreation of the cover that featured Larry Bird back in 1979. While Bird played well enough at Indiana State to eventually have the Missouri Valley Conference name its Player of the Year award in his honor, McDermott won the award in 2013 before the Bluejays made the move to the Big East.
In his lone season in the Big East, McDermott earned Big East Player of the Year honors and every major individual honor he was eligible for nationally.
With his status as the best player in college basketball, the cover spot was certainly deserved. However according to Jay King of Masslive.com, McDermott wasn’t so sure about the idea when first approached. The winner of most of college basketball’s major individual awards discussed this at the NBA’s pre-Draft Combine on Thursday.
“They contacted me about it. And I was like, ‘Are you sure you want to do a remake of the greatest to play?’” he recalled, smiling. “They kind of laughed about it; they thought it’d be really cool. I guess Larry even thought it was pretty sweet too. That was a fun little deal that I’ll have for the rest of my life. He didn’t (contact me) but I just heard from the rumors that he saw it. But I hope to someday meet him and ask him about it. He’s a guy I watch a lot of film on. I’ve read some of his books. So he’s definitely a guy I’ve been following for a while.”
McDermott’s stated on multiple occasions that Bird is a player whose old highlights he studies on a regular basis, but he also noted in the story that he’s felt that those who make comparisons between the two were “crazy” considering what Bird accomplished throughout his basketball career.
McDermott, who’s expected to be a lottery pick in next month’s draft, did have to endure his share of good-natured ribbing from his teammates as well and that’s to be expected.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)