May 17, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Iowa forward Zach McCabe recently exhausted his college eligibility but the 6-foot-6 forward was in the news on Friday as Don Doxsie of the Quad City Times reported that McCabe was arrested just after midnight on Thursday night for allegedly punching a man in an Iowa City bar.
The alleged incident occurred at D.C.’s bar in downtown Iowa City, and according to police reports, security video showed McCabe arguing with a woman at the bar. A man tried to intervene in the argument and McCabe allegedly punched him and knocked him to the ground. McCabe then blew the man a kiss and walked out of the bar.
McCabe turned himself in Friday and is being held on $1,500 bond at Johnson County jail. The senior averaged just over 15 minutes a game and played in all 33 games for Iowa in the 2013-14 season. McCabe averaged 6.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game this past season.
This is the second arrest involving an Iowa player this offseason after freshman wing Peter Jok pleaded guilty and received deferred prosecution for an OWI charge earlier this spring.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1