May 17, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Iowa forward Zach McCabe recently exhausted his college eligibility but the 6-foot-6 forward was in the news on Friday as Don Doxsie of the Quad City Times reported that McCabe was arrested just after midnight on Thursday night for allegedly punching a man in an Iowa City bar.
The alleged incident occurred at D.C.’s bar in downtown Iowa City, and according to police reports, security video showed McCabe arguing with a woman at the bar. A man tried to intervene in the argument and McCabe allegedly punched him and knocked him to the ground. McCabe then blew the man a kiss and walked out of the bar.
McCabe turned himself in Friday and is being held on $1,500 bond at Johnson County jail. The senior averaged just over 15 minutes a game and played in all 33 games for Iowa in the 2013-14 season. McCabe averaged 6.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game this past season.
This is the second arrest involving an Iowa player this offseason after freshman wing Peter Jok pleaded guilty and received deferred prosecution for an OWI charge earlier this spring.
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (19)