May 17, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Iowa forward Zach McCabe recently exhausted his college eligibility but the 6-foot-6 forward was in the news on Friday as Don Doxsie of the Quad City Times reported that McCabe was arrested just after midnight on Thursday night for allegedly punching a man in an Iowa City bar.
The alleged incident occurred at D.C.’s bar in downtown Iowa City, and according to police reports, security video showed McCabe arguing with a woman at the bar. A man tried to intervene in the argument and McCabe allegedly punched him and knocked him to the ground. McCabe then blew the man a kiss and walked out of the bar.
McCabe turned himself in Friday and is being held on $1,500 bond at Johnson County jail. The senior averaged just over 15 minutes a game and played in all 33 games for Iowa in the 2013-14 season. McCabe averaged 6.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game this past season.
This is the second arrest involving an Iowa player this offseason after freshman wing Peter Jok pleaded guilty and received deferred prosecution for an OWI charge earlier this spring.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)