May 18, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Gonzaga landed a huge transfer on Sunday afternoon as USC leading scorer and wing Byron Wesley committed to head coach Mark Few and the Zags, a source confirmed to NBCSports.com. The news was first reported by ESPN‘s Jeff Goodman.
The 6-foot-5 Wesley averaged 17.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game for the Trojans last season and will be immediately eligible to play for the Zags in the 2014-15 season. Wesley shot 46 percent from the field and 33 percent from the three-point line while also knocking in 71 percent from the charity stripe last season. Wesley amassed 1,167 career points in three seasons at USC.
With the addition of Wesley, it gives Gonzaga a wing scorer that they desperately needed to pair with the backcourt tandem of Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell, Jr.. Center Przemek Karnowski also returns for the Zags, and with that trio and the addition of Wesley, it gives Few four players that averaged double-figures in scoring last season.
Gonzaga also adds Kentucky transfer and former McDonald’s All-American Kyle Wiltjer at forward and a talented incoming class that includes point guard Josh Perkins, guard Silas Melson and power forward Domantas Sabonis.
College Basketball Talk ranked Gonzaga as the No. 17 team in the way-too-early Top 25 for the 2014-15 season and the addition of Wesley makes them a potential top 10 team.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)