May 18, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
One day after it was reported that Oregon State had narrowed its list of candidates for the open head coaching position, it was reported that athletic director Bob DeCarolis has found his man. According to John Canzano of The Oregonian, current Montana head coach Wayne Tinkle will be the new leader in Corvallis.
In eight seasons as the head coach at Montana, Tinkle led the Grizzlies to a 158-91 record and three NCAA tournament appearances with the last coming in 2013. By comparison, Oregon State’s most recent NCAA tournament appearance came in 1990. Montana finished the 2013-14 season with a 17-13 record, ending a streak of four consecutive seasons of 21 wins or more, and his lone losing season came in 2007-08 (14-16).
According to reports Sunday afternoon, Tinkle and Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins were the finalists for the Oregon State head coaching position.
Oregon State relieved Craig Robinson of his duties last month, with the former head coach putting together just one season above .500 in his six years at the helm. Oregon State’s already lost the likes of Roberto Nelson (graduation), Eric Moreland (turned pro), Hallice Cooke and Challe Barton (both transfers), and the question to be asked is whether or not more players will leave during the offseason.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)