May 18, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
One day after it was reported that Oregon State had narrowed its list of candidates for the open head coaching position, it was reported that athletic director Bob DeCarolis has found his man. According to John Canzano of The Oregonian, current Montana head coach Wayne Tinkle will be the new leader in Corvallis.
In eight seasons as the head coach at Montana, Tinkle led the Grizzlies to a 158-91 record and three NCAA tournament appearances with the last coming in 2013. By comparison, Oregon State’s most recent NCAA tournament appearance came in 1990. Montana finished the 2013-14 season with a 17-13 record, ending a streak of four consecutive seasons of 21 wins or more, and his lone losing season came in 2007-08 (14-16).
According to reports Sunday afternoon, Tinkle and Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins were the finalists for the Oregon State head coaching position.
Oregon State relieved Craig Robinson of his duties last month, with the former head coach putting together just one season above .500 in his six years at the helm. Oregon State’s already lost the likes of Roberto Nelson (graduation), Eric Moreland (turned pro), Hallice Cooke and Challe Barton (both transfers), and the question to be asked is whether or not more players will leave during the offseason.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)