May 18, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
One day after it was reported that Oregon State had narrowed its list of candidates for the open head coaching position, it was reported that athletic director Bob DeCarolis has found his man. According to John Canzano of The Oregonian, current Montana head coach Wayne Tinkle will be the new leader in Corvallis.
In eight seasons as the head coach at Montana, Tinkle led the Grizzlies to a 158-91 record and three NCAA tournament appearances with the last coming in 2013. By comparison, Oregon State’s most recent NCAA tournament appearance came in 1990. Montana finished the 2013-14 season with a 17-13 record, ending a streak of four consecutive seasons of 21 wins or more, and his lone losing season came in 2007-08 (14-16).
According to reports Sunday afternoon, Tinkle and Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins were the finalists for the Oregon State head coaching position.
Oregon State relieved Craig Robinson of his duties last month, with the former head coach putting together just one season above .500 in his six years at the helm. Oregon State’s already lost the likes of Roberto Nelson (graduation), Eric Moreland (turned pro), Hallice Cooke and Challe Barton (both transfers), and the question to be asked is whether or not more players will leave during the offseason.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)