May 18, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
One day after it was reported that Oregon State had narrowed its list of candidates for the open head coaching position, it was reported that athletic director Bob DeCarolis has found his man. According to John Canzano of The Oregonian, current Montana head coach Wayne Tinkle will be the new leader in Corvallis.
In eight seasons as the head coach at Montana, Tinkle led the Grizzlies to a 158-91 record and three NCAA tournament appearances with the last coming in 2013. By comparison, Oregon State’s most recent NCAA tournament appearance came in 1990. Montana finished the 2013-14 season with a 17-13 record, ending a streak of four consecutive seasons of 21 wins or more, and his lone losing season came in 2007-08 (14-16).
According to reports Sunday afternoon, Tinkle and Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins were the finalists for the Oregon State head coaching position.
Oregon State relieved Craig Robinson of his duties last month, with the former head coach putting together just one season above .500 in his six years at the helm. Oregon State’s already lost the likes of Roberto Nelson (graduation), Eric Moreland (turned pro), Hallice Cooke and Challe Barton (both transfers), and the question to be asked is whether or not more players will leave during the offseason.
- Norman Powell sees defense, rebounding as keys for UCLA 0
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)