May 18, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
One day after it was reported that Oregon State had narrowed its list of candidates for the open head coaching position, it was reported that athletic director Bob DeCarolis has found his man. According to John Canzano of The Oregonian, current Montana head coach Wayne Tinkle will be the new leader in Corvallis.
In eight seasons as the head coach at Montana, Tinkle led the Grizzlies to a 158-91 record and three NCAA tournament appearances with the last coming in 2013. By comparison, Oregon State’s most recent NCAA tournament appearance came in 1990. Montana finished the 2013-14 season with a 17-13 record, ending a streak of four consecutive seasons of 21 wins or more, and his lone losing season came in 2007-08 (14-16).
According to reports Sunday afternoon, Tinkle and Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins were the finalists for the Oregon State head coaching position.
Oregon State relieved Craig Robinson of his duties last month, with the former head coach putting together just one season above .500 in his six years at the helm. Oregon State’s already lost the likes of Roberto Nelson (graduation), Eric Moreland (turned pro), Hallice Cooke and Challe Barton (both transfers), and the question to be asked is whether or not more players will leave during the offseason.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can Green Bay take the next step, represent the Horizon League in the Tournament? 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)