May 18, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
At one point in time guard Elijah Stewart was hailed as an underrated prospect in the 2014 class, and with Loyola Marymount being his original school of choice it looked as if the Lions had themselves a steal. But LMU would change coaches at the end of the 2013-14 season, and Stewart reopened his recruitment as a result. Add to this his play as a senior at Westchester HS in Los Angeles, and the 6-foot-5 guard was one of the top remaining prospects in the 2014 class this spring.
Stewart is now off the board, as it was reported Sunday by Evan Daniels of Scout.com that the guard has committed to Andy Enfield’s USC Trojans (subscription required).
To say the least this is a big development for the Trojans, who won just two Pac-12 games (11-21 overall record) in Enfield’s first season as head coach. USC’s biggest personnel loss from last season was leading scorer Byron Wesley, who will complete his career at Gonzaga, and throughout the season it was clear that the Trojans needed more talent to compete in the Pac-12.
The hope in Los Angeles is that the 2014 recruiting class that Enfield’s put together, with highly regarded point guard Jordan McLaughlin being the headliner, will help push the Trojans in that direction. Stewart’s addition will help USC on the perimeter, as he’ll join McLaughlin, UNLV transfer Katin Reinhardt and incoming freshman wing Malik Marquetti in the rotation.
Big men Jabari Craig and Malik Price-Martin complete the 2014 recruiting haul for USC (they’ll also have Charlotte transfer Darion Clark, with rising sophomores Nikola Jovanovic and Julian Jacobs being their most productive returnees.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)