May 19, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Bethune-Cookman has reportedly adding a big man with one year of eligibility remaining for the 2015-2016 season.
Wagner junior forward Mario Moody, along with another teammate, received their releases from the program five weeks ago. According to a report from Cormac Gordon of SILive.com, Moody will play the last year of his collegiate career at Bethune-Cookman.
“At the end of the day, the decision became mutual,” Wagner head coach Bashir Mason told Gordon. “Mario is a great kid, and there aren’t any hard feelings. This is just something he wanted to do, and maybe he’ll benefit from sitting out a year in terms of gaining maturity and working on his game.”
The 6-foot-7 Moody averaged 8.9 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game for the Seahawks, who finished second in the Northeast Conference before being upset in the conference tournament semifinals.
Wagner graduates four seniors in addition to Moody and Langston Burnett transferring. The Wildcats finished second from the bottom of the MEAC last season, but the program could see a resurgence in the coming years. Leading scorer Clemmye Owens and top assist man Tony Kynard just completed their freshmen seasons. If Moody can bring consistency to his game, the Wildcats will have an inside piece to go along with the back court.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)