May 19, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
UConn second-year head coach Kevin Ollie had been viewed as a potential candidate for several NBA coaching vacancies. However, the university and its coach have worked out a new deal, assuring Ollie remains in Storrs.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, Ollie has agreed to an extension with the school, which will bump his annual salary to $3 million. While the length of the deal has yet to be reported the new contract more than doubles the salary from this past season past season.
The Los Angeles Lakers were planning on reaching out to Ollie, according to reports, though never contacted him, according to Wojnarowski’s league sources. The Cleveland Cavaliers was pursuing Ollie the hardest.
Ollie made his way to the UConn sidelines after his pro career as an NBA journeyman. Following two seasons as an assistant for the Huskies, he was tasked with replacing Hall of Famer Jim Calhoun. In his first season, UConn was barred from postseason play due to its low APR score. The Huskies made up for their tournament absence the previous year with a memorable run in the 2014 NCAA Tournament, capturing the program’s fourth National Title with a 60-54 win over Kentucky.
Despite graduating Shabazz Napier, UConn has returning and incoming talent on the perimeter. The Huskies are predicted as a top 20 team for the 2014-2015 season, according to College Basketball Talk’s Way-Too-Early Top 25.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)