May 19, 2014, 12:44 AM EDT
Some non-conference scheduling news broke late Sunday night, with Oklahoma announcing that it will be one of four teams taking part in the MGM Showcase benefitting Coaches vs. Cancer in December. The Sooners will take on Washington in one game, with UNLV and Utah playing in the other matchup.
Of the four teams playing in the event Oklahoma is the only one to have made the NCAA tournament last season. Utah, expected to be one of the teams looking to make a run at Arizona in the Pac-12, played in the Postseason NIT with both UNLV and Washington missing out on postseason play entirely.
With Oklahoma returning four of its top five scorers from a season ago, led by guard Buddy Hield, the Sooners are expected to once again wind up in the field of 68. Expectations will be raised for both UNLV and Utah as well, with Washington hoping to improve its standing within the Pac-12 after struggling last season due in large part to a lack of front court depth.
The games will be played on December 20 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, and this is the second year of the event. In last season’s doubleheader New Mexico beat Marquette in the opening game, with Oklahoma State knocking off Colorado in the nightcap.
Three of those four teams reached the NCAA tournament, with Marquette (no postseason play) being the exception.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)