May 19, 2014, 12:44 AM EDT
Some non-conference scheduling news broke late Sunday night, with Oklahoma announcing that it will be one of four teams taking part in the MGM Showcase benefitting Coaches vs. Cancer in December. The Sooners will take on Washington in one game, with UNLV and Utah playing in the other matchup.
Of the four teams playing in the event Oklahoma is the only one to have made the NCAA tournament last season. Utah, expected to be one of the teams looking to make a run at Arizona in the Pac-12, played in the Postseason NIT with both UNLV and Washington missing out on postseason play entirely.
With Oklahoma returning four of its top five scorers from a season ago, led by guard Buddy Hield, the Sooners are expected to once again wind up in the field of 68. Expectations will be raised for both UNLV and Utah as well, with Washington hoping to improve its standing within the Pac-12 after struggling last season due in large part to a lack of front court depth.
The games will be played on December 20 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, and this is the second year of the event. In last season’s doubleheader New Mexico beat Marquette in the opening game, with Oklahoma State knocking off Colorado in the nightcap.
Three of those four teams reached the NCAA tournament, with Marquette (no postseason play) being the exception.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)