May 19, 2014, 12:44 AM EDT
Some non-conference scheduling news broke late Sunday night, with Oklahoma announcing that it will be one of four teams taking part in the MGM Showcase benefitting Coaches vs. Cancer in December. The Sooners will take on Washington in one game, with UNLV and Utah playing in the other matchup.
Of the four teams playing in the event Oklahoma is the only one to have made the NCAA tournament last season. Utah, expected to be one of the teams looking to make a run at Arizona in the Pac-12, played in the Postseason NIT with both UNLV and Washington missing out on postseason play entirely.
With Oklahoma returning four of its top five scorers from a season ago, led by guard Buddy Hield, the Sooners are expected to once again wind up in the field of 68. Expectations will be raised for both UNLV and Utah as well, with Washington hoping to improve its standing within the Pac-12 after struggling last season due in large part to a lack of front court depth.
The games will be played on December 20 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, and this is the second year of the event. In last season’s doubleheader New Mexico beat Marquette in the opening game, with Oklahoma State knocking off Colorado in the nightcap.
Three of those four teams reached the NCAA tournament, with Marquette (no postseason play) being the exception.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- New Mexico’s Craig Neal cuts hair for ‘Locks of Love’ (VIDEO) 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)