May 19, 2014, 12:44 AM EST
Some non-conference scheduling news broke late Sunday night, with Oklahoma announcing that it will be one of four teams taking part in the MGM Showcase benefitting Coaches vs. Cancer in December. The Sooners will take on Washington in one game, with UNLV and Utah playing in the other matchup.
Of the four teams playing in the event Oklahoma is the only one to have made the NCAA tournament last season. Utah, expected to be one of the teams looking to make a run at Arizona in the Pac-12, played in the Postseason NIT with both UNLV and Washington missing out on postseason play entirely.
With Oklahoma returning four of its top five scorers from a season ago, led by guard Buddy Hield, the Sooners are expected to once again wind up in the field of 68. Expectations will be raised for both UNLV and Utah as well, with Washington hoping to improve its standing within the Pac-12 after struggling last season due in large part to a lack of front court depth.
The games will be played on December 20 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, and this is the second year of the event. In last season’s doubleheader New Mexico beat Marquette in the opening game, with Oklahoma State knocking off Colorado in the nightcap.
Three of those four teams reached the NCAA tournament, with Marquette (no postseason play) being the exception.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)