May 19, 2014, 12:44 AM EDT
Some non-conference scheduling news broke late Sunday night, with Oklahoma announcing that it will be one of four teams taking part in the MGM Showcase benefitting Coaches vs. Cancer in December. The Sooners will take on Washington in one game, with UNLV and Utah playing in the other matchup.
Of the four teams playing in the event Oklahoma is the only one to have made the NCAA tournament last season. Utah, expected to be one of the teams looking to make a run at Arizona in the Pac-12, played in the Postseason NIT with both UNLV and Washington missing out on postseason play entirely.
With Oklahoma returning four of its top five scorers from a season ago, led by guard Buddy Hield, the Sooners are expected to once again wind up in the field of 68. Expectations will be raised for both UNLV and Utah as well, with Washington hoping to improve its standing within the Pac-12 after struggling last season due in large part to a lack of front court depth.
The games will be played on December 20 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, and this is the second year of the event. In last season’s doubleheader New Mexico beat Marquette in the opening game, with Oklahoma State knocking off Colorado in the nightcap.
Three of those four teams reached the NCAA tournament, with Marquette (no postseason play) being the exception.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)