May 19, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
After making the NCAA Tournament in four of his first five seasons at Xavier, head coach Chris Mack was rewarded on Monday with a new contract and a two-year extension.
The extension goes through the 2019-20 season and was announced in a release from Xavier and Athletic Director Greg Christopher in an official release.
Mack has made the Sweet 16 twice in his five-year tenure (2010 and 2012) and the Xavier alum holds a 111-57 overall mark at the school.
“We have lofty goals for our basketball program,” Mack said in the release. “Xavier is a special place and the support from the entire Xavier Community is overwhelming. Xavier and the City of Cincinnati are home to me. As both an alum and the head coach, I am excited about the challenges ahead. Between our returning players and the new recruiting class, the coming years at Xavier will be special. We’re ready to get started right now.”
In Xavier’s first season in the Big East in 2013-14, Mack coached the Musketeers to a 21-13 overall mark (10-8 Big East) and made the NCAA Tournament once again, falling to N.C. State in the First Four as a 12 seed.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)