May 20, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Akoy Agau isn’t exactly a household name in college hoops, but he is about to be the topic of too much discussion in the state of Kentucky.
It’s May. Nothing is happening in college hoops in the month of May. So when Agau, seldom-used Louisville forward, goes on a radio show and takes an admittedly-minor swipe at Kentucky fans, it will get blown out of proportion.
Last month, Agau went on a radio show called “Sharp and Benning in the morning” in his hometown of Omaha, Ne., and proceeded to discuss, among other things, the rivalry between Kentucky and Louisville.
“It’s literally, if you win, you have exactly 365 days until the next game you play each other to brag and talk all the crap they want,” Agau said. “It’s literally all they do. It’s red and blue just going back at each other. If a Louisville player does something, all the Kentucky fans want to … publicize it or get it out.”
“We could be in the national championship playing against someone else, or we could have like 10 more games before playing that game, but that’s the only game anybody’s talking about down there. … I’ve never been a part of something so crazy – amazing.”
And he’s exactly right. That rivalry carries a massive amount of weight for basketball fans in the Commonwealth, but that’s not the line that is sure to get people riled up.
“I personally feel like our fans are more mature,” Agau said with a laugh. “I hope there’s not any Kentucky fans listening.”
Nothing like a little bit of rivalry smack talk to liven up a boring Tuesday afternoon.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)