May 20, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Akoy Agau isn’t exactly a household name in college hoops, but he is about to be the topic of too much discussion in the state of Kentucky.
It’s May. Nothing is happening in college hoops in the month of May. So when Agau, seldom-used Louisville forward, goes on a radio show and takes an admittedly-minor swipe at Kentucky fans, it will get blown out of proportion.
Last month, Agau went on a radio show called “Sharp and Benning in the morning” in his hometown of Omaha, Ne., and proceeded to discuss, among other things, the rivalry between Kentucky and Louisville.
“It’s literally, if you win, you have exactly 365 days until the next game you play each other to brag and talk all the crap they want,” Agau said. “It’s literally all they do. It’s red and blue just going back at each other. If a Louisville player does something, all the Kentucky fans want to … publicize it or get it out.”
“We could be in the national championship playing against someone else, or we could have like 10 more games before playing that game, but that’s the only game anybody’s talking about down there. … I’ve never been a part of something so crazy – amazing.”
And he’s exactly right. That rivalry carries a massive amount of weight for basketball fans in the Commonwealth, but that’s not the line that is sure to get people riled up.
“I personally feel like our fans are more mature,” Agau said with a laugh. “I hope there’s not any Kentucky fans listening.”
Nothing like a little bit of rivalry smack talk to liven up a boring Tuesday afternoon.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)