May 20, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Akoy Agau isn’t exactly a household name in college hoops, but he is about to be the topic of too much discussion in the state of Kentucky.
It’s May. Nothing is happening in college hoops in the month of May. So when Agau, seldom-used Louisville forward, goes on a radio show and takes an admittedly-minor swipe at Kentucky fans, it will get blown out of proportion.
Last month, Agau went on a radio show called “Sharp and Benning in the morning” in his hometown of Omaha, Ne., and proceeded to discuss, among other things, the rivalry between Kentucky and Louisville.
“It’s literally, if you win, you have exactly 365 days until the next game you play each other to brag and talk all the crap they want,” Agau said. “It’s literally all they do. It’s red and blue just going back at each other. If a Louisville player does something, all the Kentucky fans want to … publicize it or get it out.”
“We could be in the national championship playing against someone else, or we could have like 10 more games before playing that game, but that’s the only game anybody’s talking about down there. … I’ve never been a part of something so crazy – amazing.”
And he’s exactly right. That rivalry carries a massive amount of weight for basketball fans in the Commonwealth, but that’s not the line that is sure to get people riled up.
“I personally feel like our fans are more mature,” Agau said with a laugh. “I hope there’s not any Kentucky fans listening.”
Nothing like a little bit of rivalry smack talk to liven up a boring Tuesday afternoon.
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)