May 20, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Akoy Agau isn’t exactly a household name in college hoops, but he is about to be the topic of too much discussion in the state of Kentucky.
It’s May. Nothing is happening in college hoops in the month of May. So when Agau, seldom-used Louisville forward, goes on a radio show and takes an admittedly-minor swipe at Kentucky fans, it will get blown out of proportion.
Last month, Agau went on a radio show called “Sharp and Benning in the morning” in his hometown of Omaha, Ne., and proceeded to discuss, among other things, the rivalry between Kentucky and Louisville.
“It’s literally, if you win, you have exactly 365 days until the next game you play each other to brag and talk all the crap they want,” Agau said. “It’s literally all they do. It’s red and blue just going back at each other. If a Louisville player does something, all the Kentucky fans want to … publicize it or get it out.”
“We could be in the national championship playing against someone else, or we could have like 10 more games before playing that game, but that’s the only game anybody’s talking about down there. … I’ve never been a part of something so crazy – amazing.”
And he’s exactly right. That rivalry carries a massive amount of weight for basketball fans in the Commonwealth, but that’s not the line that is sure to get people riled up.
“I personally feel like our fans are more mature,” Agau said with a laugh. “I hope there’s not any Kentucky fans listening.”
Nothing like a little bit of rivalry smack talk to liven up a boring Tuesday afternoon.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)