May 20, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
No one would blame you if you didn’t recognize the name Stilman White, but for a brief time during his freshman season at North Carolina, White was the center of the college basketball universe.
That was during the 2011-2012 season, when Kendall Marshall was busy winning the Cousy Award as the nation’s best point guard. But in North Carolina’s win over Creighton in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament, Marshall broke his wrist.
The Tar Heels had been, along with title-winner Kentucky, the favorite to win the NCAA tournament with Marshall.
White, who was a little-known freshman at the time, was his back up, and while he had six points and 13 assists without a turnover during the regionals, UNC still lost in the Elite 8 to Kansas.
White spent the past two seasons on a Mormon mission, but he is back in summer school and will return to the North Carolina team next season.
“We’re glad to have Stilman back in school and with our team,” says UNC head coach Roy Williams. “He had to make his first two collegiate starts in the middle of the NCAA Tournament and performed well. He has not played much basketball the last two years and is coming off an ankle injury so he has some work to do to catch up. But he will give us additional experience and depth in the backcourt.”
White may never play as important of a role as he did on that 2012 team. Currently, he sits behind Marcus Paige, Nate Britt and Joel Berry on UNC’s point guard depth chart.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)