May 20, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
No one would blame you if you didn’t recognize the name Stilman White, but for a brief time during his freshman season at North Carolina, White was the center of the college basketball universe.
That was during the 2011-2012 season, when Kendall Marshall was busy winning the Cousy Award as the nation’s best point guard. But in North Carolina’s win over Creighton in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament, Marshall broke his wrist.
The Tar Heels had been, along with title-winner Kentucky, the favorite to win the NCAA tournament with Marshall.
White, who was a little-known freshman at the time, was his back up, and while he had six points and 13 assists without a turnover during the regionals, UNC still lost in the Elite 8 to Kansas.
White spent the past two seasons on a Mormon mission, but he is back in summer school and will return to the North Carolina team next season.
“We’re glad to have Stilman back in school and with our team,” says UNC head coach Roy Williams. “He had to make his first two collegiate starts in the middle of the NCAA Tournament and performed well. He has not played much basketball the last two years and is coming off an ankle injury so he has some work to do to catch up. But he will give us additional experience and depth in the backcourt.”
White may never play as important of a role as he did on that 2012 team. Currently, he sits behind Marcus Paige, Nate Britt and Joel Berry on UNC’s point guard depth chart.
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)