May 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
Dave Rice’s overhaul of the UNLV roster continued on Tuesday afternoon as he earned a commitment from Jordan Cornish.
Cornish is a 6-foot-6 guard from New Orleans that is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com. He was originally signed to Tennessee but was released after Cuonzo Martin took the job at Cal.
Cornish is the fifth high school player in Rice’s 2014 class, along with Rashad Vaughn, Goodluck Okonoboh and Dwayne Morgan, all of whom are top 50 recruits, and Patrick McCaw. Rice will also bring in Cody Doolin, a senior transfer from San Francisco, former Rutgers guard Jerome Seagears and former Oregon forward Ben Carter.
UNLV will lose their top four scorers from last season. Bryce Dejean-Jones transferred to Iowa State, Khem Birch and Roscoe Smith went pro, and Kevin Olekaibe graduated. They are scheduled to return six scholarship players from last season, meaning that if all eight of their newcomers are on scholarship, UNLV will be one over the NCAA’s maximum of 13.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)