May 21, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
In his first month on the job at Houston, head coach Kelvin Sampson has hit the junior college ranks hard in search of players who can help get the Cougar program headed in the right direction. Wednesday it was reported by multiple outlets that another junior college product has decided to join Sampson’s program, with East Mississippi CC forward Devonta Pollard making his pledge.
Pollard’s had an interesting college career, as he was a McDonald’s All-American who played his freshman season at Alabama. However a legal issue related to his mother’s kidnapping of a neighbor’s child in a land dispute led to Pollard having to leave the Alabama program.
Pollard joined the East Mississippi CC program in 2013-14, playing better basketball during the spring semester once the legal issues were resolved. Pollard received two years of probation, and he will avoid prosecution if he steers clear of trouble during that period.
Pollard averaged 12.0 points and 6.3 rebounds per game last season, shooting 59.4% from the field, and he’s the sixth junior college transfer to join the Houston program this offseason. And like Pollard, one of those players (guard Torian Graham) was a highly regarded recruiting during his high school years.
Houston’s most experienced returnees are guards Jherrod Stiggers and L.J. Rose and forward Danrad “Chicken” Knowles.
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)