May 21, 2014, 6:36 PM EST
In his first month on the job at Houston, head coach Kelvin Sampson has hit the junior college ranks hard in search of players who can help get the Cougar program headed in the right direction. Wednesday it was reported by multiple outlets that another junior college product has decided to join Sampson’s program, with East Mississippi CC forward Devonta Pollard making his pledge.
Pollard’s had an interesting college career, as he was a McDonald’s All-American who played his freshman season at Alabama. However a legal issue related to his mother’s kidnapping of a neighbor’s child in a land dispute led to Pollard having to leave the Alabama program.
Pollard joined the East Mississippi CC program in 2013-14, playing better basketball during the spring semester once the legal issues were resolved. Pollard received two years of probation, and he will avoid prosecution if he steers clear of trouble during that period.
Pollard averaged 12.0 points and 6.3 rebounds per game last season, shooting 59.4% from the field, and he’s the sixth junior college transfer to join the Houston program this offseason. And like Pollard, one of those players (guard Torian Graham) was a highly regarded recruiting during his high school years.
Houston’s most experienced returnees are guards Jherrod Stiggers and L.J. Rose and forward Danrad “Chicken” Knowles.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)