May 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EST
Damontre Harris will not be returning to the Florida basketball program, according to a report from CBSSports.com.
Harris was an all-SEC defensive team performer as a sophomore at South Carolina in 2011-2012 before he made the decision to transfer to Florida. But after sitting out the 2012-2013 season as a transfer, Harris never saw the court last season due to off-the-court issues and was, for a time, kicked off of the team.
There was speculation that Harris would be allowed to return to the team for the 2014-2015 season, but that dissipated when Donovan accepted John Egbunu, a transfer from South Florida. Egbunu became the 14th player scheduled to be on scholarship next season, meaning that someone on the Florida roster had to go. Harris was the easy choice.
Harris, who was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school in 2010, averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 boards and 2.3 blocks as a sophomore with the Gamecocks. He has one season of eligibility remaining, but he’ll need to graduate immediately and receive a graduate transfer waiver to play immediately in 2014-2015. Athletes are allowed five seasons to use four years of eligibility, and 2014-2015 will be the fifth year that Harris has been a collegiate athlete.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)