May 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Damontre Harris will not be returning to the Florida basketball program, according to a report from CBSSports.com.
Harris was an all-SEC defensive team performer as a sophomore at South Carolina in 2011-2012 before he made the decision to transfer to Florida. But after sitting out the 2012-2013 season as a transfer, Harris never saw the court last season due to off-the-court issues and was, for a time, kicked off of the team.
There was speculation that Harris would be allowed to return to the team for the 2014-2015 season, but that dissipated when Donovan accepted John Egbunu, a transfer from South Florida. Egbunu became the 14th player scheduled to be on scholarship next season, meaning that someone on the Florida roster had to go. Harris was the easy choice.
Harris, who was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school in 2010, averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 boards and 2.3 blocks as a sophomore with the Gamecocks. He has one season of eligibility remaining, but he’ll need to graduate immediately and receive a graduate transfer waiver to play immediately in 2014-2015. Athletes are allowed five seasons to use four years of eligibility, and 2014-2015 will be the fifth year that Harris has been a collegiate athlete.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)