May 21, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Darius Thompson is transferring from Tennessee, according to multiple media reports.
A freshman point guard for the Vols last season, the 6-foot-5 Thompson averaged 2.6 points. 2.0 boards and 2.4 assists while starting 10 games a season ago. When Cuonzo Martin was fired and Donnie Tyndall got the head coaching job, Thompson asked for his release from the program. He still was considering Tennessee but, according to Go Vols 247, called Tyndall on Tuesday night to inform him that he will not be returning to Knoxville and is headed to Virginia.
Thompson, who hails from Murfreesboro, Tn., was a top 150 recruit in the Class of 2013, according to Rivals.com.
He’ll have to sit out the 2014-2015 season, but Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2015-2016. At that point, Malcolm Brogdon will have one year of eligibility left and London Perrantes will have two season left.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 0
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)