May 21, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Darius Thompson is transferring from Tennessee, according to multiple media reports.
A freshman point guard for the Vols last season, the 6-foot-5 Thompson averaged 2.6 points. 2.0 boards and 2.4 assists while starting 10 games a season ago. When Cuonzo Martin was fired and Donnie Tyndall got the head coaching job, Thompson asked for his release from the program. He still was considering Tennessee but, according to Go Vols 247, called Tyndall on Tuesday night to inform him that he will not be returning to Knoxville and is headed to Virginia.
Thompson, who hails from Murfreesboro, Tn., was a top 150 recruit in the Class of 2013, according to Rivals.com.
He’ll have to sit out the 2014-2015 season, but Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2015-2016. At that point, Malcolm Brogdon will have one year of eligibility left and London Perrantes will have two season left.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)