May 21, 2014, 9:23 AM EST
Darius Thompson is transferring from Tennessee, according to multiple media reports.
A freshman point guard for the Vols last season, the 6-foot-5 Thompson averaged 2.6 points. 2.0 boards and 2.4 assists while starting 10 games a season ago. When Cuonzo Martin was fired and Donnie Tyndall got the head coaching job, Thompson asked for his release from the program. He still was considering Tennessee but, according to Go Vols 247, called Tyndall on Tuesday night to inform him that he will not be returning to Knoxville and is headed to Virginia.
Thompson, who hails from Murfreesboro, Tn., was a top 150 recruit in the Class of 2013, according to Rivals.com.
He’ll have to sit out the 2014-2015 season, but Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2015-2016. At that point, Malcolm Brogdon will have one year of eligibility left and London Perrantes will have two season left.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)