May 21, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Darius Thompson is transferring from Tennessee, according to multiple media reports.
A freshman point guard for the Vols last season, the 6-foot-5 Thompson averaged 2.6 points. 2.0 boards and 2.4 assists while starting 10 games a season ago. When Cuonzo Martin was fired and Donnie Tyndall got the head coaching job, Thompson asked for his release from the program. He still was considering Tennessee but, according to Go Vols 247, called Tyndall on Tuesday night to inform him that he will not be returning to Knoxville and is headed to Virginia.
Thompson, who hails from Murfreesboro, Tn., was a top 150 recruit in the Class of 2013, according to Rivals.com.
He’ll have to sit out the 2014-2015 season, but Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2015-2016. At that point, Malcolm Brogdon will have one year of eligibility left and London Perrantes will have two season left.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)