May 21, 2014, 9:23 AM EST
Darius Thompson is transferring from Tennessee, according to multiple media reports.
A freshman point guard for the Vols last season, the 6-foot-5 Thompson averaged 2.6 points. 2.0 boards and 2.4 assists while starting 10 games a season ago. When Cuonzo Martin was fired and Donnie Tyndall got the head coaching job, Thompson asked for his release from the program. He still was considering Tennessee but, according to Go Vols 247, called Tyndall on Tuesday night to inform him that he will not be returning to Knoxville and is headed to Virginia.
Thompson, who hails from Murfreesboro, Tn., was a top 150 recruit in the Class of 2013, according to Rivals.com.
He’ll have to sit out the 2014-2015 season, but Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2015-2016. At that point, Malcolm Brogdon will have one year of eligibility left and London Perrantes will have two season left.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)