May 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
When Donnie Tyndall accepted the offer to become Tennessee’s new head coach a month ago, the program’s lack of interior depth was something that needed to be addressed. It’s safe to say that Tyndall and his staff have done just that on the recruiting trail, with four of their eight additions being forwards.
The fourth addition is former Ohio signee Tariq Owens, a 6-foot-10 forward from Laurel, Md. who committed to Tennessee on Wednesday. The news was first reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com. Owens’ decision moves Tennessee back to the scholarship limit (13) for the 2014-15 season, one day after it was announced that reserve point guard Darius Thompson would be transferring to Virginia.
Owens picked Tennessee over Temple and UT-Martin, and he’d also received offers from programs such as Florida State, Miami and Seton Hall in the weeks following his decision to reopen his recruitment.
Owens joins a front court that will include FGCU graduate transfer Eric McKnight, fellow freshmen Jabari McGhee and Willie Carmichael and senior Rawane Ndiaye. Tennessee also welcomes back wings Josh Richardson, who is the team’s leading returning scorer, and Derek Reese.
Tyndall and his staff hit the ground running from a recruiting standpoint, with the perimeter rotation being bolstered by the additions of graduate transfer Ian Chiles (IUPUI), junior college transfer Kevin Punter and highly-regarded freshman Detrick Mostella. There will be an adjustment period to Tyndall’s style of play, but thanks to the work of he and his staff the Volunteers are capable of returning to the NCAA tournament in 2015.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)