May 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
When Donnie Tyndall accepted the offer to become Tennessee’s new head coach a month ago, the program’s lack of interior depth was something that needed to be addressed. It’s safe to say that Tyndall and his staff have done just that on the recruiting trail, with four of their eight additions being forwards.
The fourth addition is former Ohio signee Tariq Owens, a 6-foot-10 forward from Laurel, Md. who committed to Tennessee on Wednesday. The news was first reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com. Owens’ decision moves Tennessee back to the scholarship limit (13) for the 2014-15 season, one day after it was announced that reserve point guard Darius Thompson would be transferring to Virginia.
Owens picked Tennessee over Temple and UT-Martin, and he’d also received offers from programs such as Florida State, Miami and Seton Hall in the weeks following his decision to reopen his recruitment.
Owens joins a front court that will include FGCU graduate transfer Eric McKnight, fellow freshmen Jabari McGhee and Willie Carmichael and senior Rawane Ndiaye. Tennessee also welcomes back wings Josh Richardson, who is the team’s leading returning scorer, and Derek Reese.
Tyndall and his staff hit the ground running from a recruiting standpoint, with the perimeter rotation being bolstered by the additions of graduate transfer Ian Chiles (IUPUI), junior college transfer Kevin Punter and highly-regarded freshman Detrick Mostella. There will be an adjustment period to Tyndall’s style of play, but thanks to the work of he and his staff the Volunteers are capable of returning to the NCAA tournament in 2015.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)