May 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Deville Smith will not return to UNLV for his senior season, according to a report from MyLVSports.com. There has been speculation for much of the spring that Smith would be leaving the program.
Smith would have been UNLV’s leading returning scorer had he returned as he averaged 9.7 points and started 18 games for the Rebels in his one year in Vegas. As a freshman, the Jackson, Ms., native played on the Mississippi State team that also included Rodney Hood, Arnett Moultrie, Renardo Sidney and Dee Bost but transferred to a JuCo for his sophomore season.
Smith is just the latest departure from the Rebel program as UNLV head coach Dave Rice cleaned house this offseason. Roscoe Smith and Khem Birch went pro. Bryce Dejean-Jones and Demetris Morant have already transferred out of the program, and there are rumors that Smith won’t be the last to leave.
As it stands, UNLV’s leading returning scorer is Jelan Kendrick, one of just four players that saw minutes last season that are scheduled to be back with the team. Kendall Smith, Daquon Cook and Christian Wood also are still on the roster.
The good news for Rice is that he will bring in a talented class of recruits, headlined by Rashad Vaughn, Dwayne Morgan and Goodluck Okonoboh. Pat McCaw and Jordan Cornish both join the program as well, and transfer Jerome Seagears (Rutgers) and Cody Doolin (San Francisco) will be in the mix as well.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)