May 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Deville Smith will not return to UNLV for his senior season, according to a report from MyLVSports.com. There has been speculation for much of the spring that Smith would be leaving the program.
Smith would have been UNLV’s leading returning scorer had he returned as he averaged 9.7 points and started 18 games for the Rebels in his one year in Vegas. As a freshman, the Jackson, Ms., native played on the Mississippi State team that also included Rodney Hood, Arnett Moultrie, Renardo Sidney and Dee Bost but transferred to a JuCo for his sophomore season.
Smith is just the latest departure from the Rebel program as UNLV head coach Dave Rice cleaned house this offseason. Roscoe Smith and Khem Birch went pro. Bryce Dejean-Jones and Demetris Morant have already transferred out of the program, and there are rumors that Smith won’t be the last to leave.
As it stands, UNLV’s leading returning scorer is Jelan Kendrick, one of just four players that saw minutes last season that are scheduled to be back with the team. Kendall Smith, Daquon Cook and Christian Wood also are still on the roster.
The good news for Rice is that he will bring in a talented class of recruits, headlined by Rashad Vaughn, Dwayne Morgan and Goodluck Okonoboh. Pat McCaw and Jordan Cornish both join the program as well, and transfer Jerome Seagears (Rutgers) and Cody Doolin (San Francisco) will be in the mix as well.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)