May 22, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
On the same day that it was announced reserve forward Ray Barreno was transferring to New Mexico JC, Tulane added a as former LSU guard Malik Morgan signed with Ed Conroy’s program according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. Morgan won’t be able to help the Green Wave in game action next season due to NCAA transfer rules, and he’ll have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2015-16 campaign.
Morgan averaged 4.4 points and 3.1 rebounds per game in 21 contests last season, with his sophomore year coming to an end in February due to a torn patellar tendon in his right knee. In the story written by Andrew Lopez of the Times-Picayune, Morgan noted that the rehab process would have forced him to miss the entire 2014-15 season.
Morgan underwent surgery for the injury three months ago and says he has full range of motion in the knee but admitted he was going to have to sit out the season anyway.
Per NCAA transfer rules, Morgan won’t be eligible to play for the Green Wave until the 2015-16 season, so the year he would have spent on the sidelines rehabbing anyway, will also count as his transfer year.
Morgan’s career high as a Tiger was 12 points, a total he’d reached in two different games during his time in Baton Rouge. When Morgan becomes eligible for game action just one of Tulane’s top three scorers from last season will be out of eligibility, and that’s shooting guard Jay Hook
Both Louis Dabney and Jonathan Stark will have eligibility remaining in 2015-16, as will incoming freshman Keith Pinckney, meaning that the Green Wave will have some solid perimeter pieces to work with.
h/t Verbal Commits
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)