May 22, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
On the same day that it was announced reserve forward Ray Barreno was transferring to New Mexico JC, Tulane added a as former LSU guard Malik Morgan signed with Ed Conroy’s program according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. Morgan won’t be able to help the Green Wave in game action next season due to NCAA transfer rules, and he’ll have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2015-16 campaign.
Morgan averaged 4.4 points and 3.1 rebounds per game in 21 contests last season, with his sophomore year coming to an end in February due to a torn patellar tendon in his right knee. In the story written by Andrew Lopez of the Times-Picayune, Morgan noted that the rehab process would have forced him to miss the entire 2014-15 season.
Morgan underwent surgery for the injury three months ago and says he has full range of motion in the knee but admitted he was going to have to sit out the season anyway.
Per NCAA transfer rules, Morgan won’t be eligible to play for the Green Wave until the 2015-16 season, so the year he would have spent on the sidelines rehabbing anyway, will also count as his transfer year.
Morgan’s career high as a Tiger was 12 points, a total he’d reached in two different games during his time in Baton Rouge. When Morgan becomes eligible for game action just one of Tulane’s top three scorers from last season will be out of eligibility, and that’s shooting guard Jay Hook
Both Louis Dabney and Jonathan Stark will have eligibility remaining in 2015-16, as will incoming freshman Keith Pinckney, meaning that the Green Wave will have some solid perimeter pieces to work with.
h/t Verbal Commits
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)