May 22, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Earlier this month, Virginia Tech forward Marshall Wood told the Roanoke Times that he would be leaving the Hokie basketball program in an effort to spend more time focusing on his academics.
“I wasn’t giving my academics, my education the full attention I needed to. I didn’t want to just be a basketball player that didn’t know anything after college,” he told the paper on May 6th. “This was a decision that was going to happen regardless if [former Tech coach James] Johnson was going to be there or not. I think [new head coach Buzz] Williams is going to do a very, very good job with the team. I talked to him, and I’m very impressed.”
That doesn’t appear to be the case anymore, as Wood as asked for and been granted his release to transfer in an effort to resume his collegiate career. His AAU coach confirmed the news on twitter on Thursday afternoon.
Wood averaged 4.0 points and 3.5 boards as a sophomore with Tech this past season. He started 11 games, but also dealt with two games where Johnson decided not to play him at all.
Wood will be eligible to play in 2015-2016 at whatever school he winds up committing to. He’ll have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)