May 22, 2014, 1:09 PM EST
Earlier this month, Virginia Tech forward Marshall Wood told the Roanoke Times that he would be leaving the Hokie basketball program in an effort to spend more time focusing on his academics.
“I wasn’t giving my academics, my education the full attention I needed to. I didn’t want to just be a basketball player that didn’t know anything after college,” he told the paper on May 6th. “This was a decision that was going to happen regardless if [former Tech coach James] Johnson was going to be there or not. I think [new head coach Buzz] Williams is going to do a very, very good job with the team. I talked to him, and I’m very impressed.”
That doesn’t appear to be the case anymore, as Wood as asked for and been granted his release to transfer in an effort to resume his collegiate career. His AAU coach confirmed the news on twitter on Thursday afternoon.
Wood averaged 4.0 points and 3.5 boards as a sophomore with Tech this past season. He started 11 games, but also dealt with two games where Johnson decided not to play him at all.
Wood will be eligible to play in 2015-2016 at whatever school he winds up committing to. He’ll have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)