May 22, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
Less than two years after renovations to Pauley Pavilion were completed, UCLA announced that it has begun fundraising for a new project that will benefit both of its basketball programs. The project: a new practice facility for both the men’s and women’s basketball programs, with the school estimating that it will cost between $30 and $40 million.
Also of note is the fact that the project will be funded by private donations as opposed to public funds.
“Some of the most iconic names in all of basketball have taken the court for UCLA over the years,” UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero said in the release. “We expect basketball’s next generation of great names to also trace their legacy back to Westwood. This new basketball practice facility will help ensure that our future is every bit as spectacular as our past.”
Basketball practice facilities have grown in importance over the last 10-15 years, with the nation’s richer programs making sure their teams have enough space to train with an eye towards winning championships. Does not having a sparkling practice facility prohibit a program from making a run at conference and national titles? No, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to have one when it comes to the recruiting trail.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)