May 22, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
Less than two years after renovations to Pauley Pavilion were completed, UCLA announced that it has begun fundraising for a new project that will benefit both of its basketball programs. The project: a new practice facility for both the men’s and women’s basketball programs, with the school estimating that it will cost between $30 and $40 million.
Also of note is the fact that the project will be funded by private donations as opposed to public funds.
“Some of the most iconic names in all of basketball have taken the court for UCLA over the years,” UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero said in the release. “We expect basketball’s next generation of great names to also trace their legacy back to Westwood. This new basketball practice facility will help ensure that our future is every bit as spectacular as our past.”
Basketball practice facilities have grown in importance over the last 10-15 years, with the nation’s richer programs making sure their teams have enough space to train with an eye towards winning championships. Does not having a sparkling practice facility prohibit a program from making a run at conference and national titles? No, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to have one when it comes to the recruiting trail.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)