May 22, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Less than two years after renovations to Pauley Pavilion were completed, UCLA announced that it has begun fundraising for a new project that will benefit both of its basketball programs. The project: a new practice facility for both the men’s and women’s basketball programs, with the school estimating that it will cost between $30 and $40 million.
Also of note is the fact that the project will be funded by private donations as opposed to public funds.
“Some of the most iconic names in all of basketball have taken the court for UCLA over the years,” UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero said in the release. “We expect basketball’s next generation of great names to also trace their legacy back to Westwood. This new basketball practice facility will help ensure that our future is every bit as spectacular as our past.”
Basketball practice facilities have grown in importance over the last 10-15 years, with the nation’s richer programs making sure their teams have enough space to train with an eye towards winning championships. Does not having a sparkling practice facility prohibit a program from making a run at conference and national titles? No, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to have one when it comes to the recruiting trail.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)