May 22, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
Less than two years after renovations to Pauley Pavilion were completed, UCLA announced that it has begun fundraising for a new project that will benefit both of its basketball programs. The project: a new practice facility for both the men’s and women’s basketball programs, with the school estimating that it will cost between $30 and $40 million.
Also of note is the fact that the project will be funded by private donations as opposed to public funds.
“Some of the most iconic names in all of basketball have taken the court for UCLA over the years,” UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero said in the release. “We expect basketball’s next generation of great names to also trace their legacy back to Westwood. This new basketball practice facility will help ensure that our future is every bit as spectacular as our past.”
Basketball practice facilities have grown in importance over the last 10-15 years, with the nation’s richer programs making sure their teams have enough space to train with an eye towards winning championships. Does not having a sparkling practice facility prohibit a program from making a run at conference and national titles? No, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to have one when it comes to the recruiting trail.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)