May 22, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
Wake Forest added a graduate transfer to its program Thursday, as it was reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com that former Campbell forward Darius Leonard will join the program. Leonard, who averaged 10.2 points and 4.9 rebounds per game last season, was also considering Drexel, Marquette, Miami and Virginia Tech.
Despite being 6-foot-9 Leonard is a capable perimeter shooter, as he made 38 percent of his 92 attempts in 2013-14. That performance from beyond the arc came on the heels of a 2012-13 season in which he did not attempt a single three-pointer, and overall Leonard shot 50.4% from the field.
Leonard joins a Wake Forest front court that will be led by rising junior Devin Thomas, who averaged 11.1 points and 7.5 rebounds per game last season. The Demon Deacons did lose Travis McKie (graduation) and Arnaud Adala Moto (transfer), which makes the addition of Leonard an important one. Wake Forest also returns Tyler Cavanaugh, who accounted for 8.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per contest last season.
The 2014-15 season will be the first under head coach Danny Manning, who took over after the school decided not to retain Jeff Bzdelik.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)