May 22, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
Wake Forest added a graduate transfer to its program Thursday, as it was reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com that former Campbell forward Darius Leonard will join the program. Leonard, who averaged 10.2 points and 4.9 rebounds per game last season, was also considering Drexel, Marquette, Miami and Virginia Tech.
Despite being 6-foot-9 Leonard is a capable perimeter shooter, as he made 38 percent of his 92 attempts in 2013-14. That performance from beyond the arc came on the heels of a 2012-13 season in which he did not attempt a single three-pointer, and overall Leonard shot 50.4% from the field.
Leonard joins a Wake Forest front court that will be led by rising junior Devin Thomas, who averaged 11.1 points and 7.5 rebounds per game last season. The Demon Deacons did lose Travis McKie (graduation) and Arnaud Adala Moto (transfer), which makes the addition of Leonard an important one. Wake Forest also returns Tyler Cavanaugh, who accounted for 8.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per contest last season.
The 2014-15 season will be the first under head coach Danny Manning, who took over after the school decided not to retain Jeff Bzdelik.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)