May 22, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
Wake Forest added a graduate transfer to its program Thursday, as it was reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com that former Campbell forward Darius Leonard will join the program. Leonard, who averaged 10.2 points and 4.9 rebounds per game last season, was also considering Drexel, Marquette, Miami and Virginia Tech.
Despite being 6-foot-9 Leonard is a capable perimeter shooter, as he made 38 percent of his 92 attempts in 2013-14. That performance from beyond the arc came on the heels of a 2012-13 season in which he did not attempt a single three-pointer, and overall Leonard shot 50.4% from the field.
Leonard joins a Wake Forest front court that will be led by rising junior Devin Thomas, who averaged 11.1 points and 7.5 rebounds per game last season. The Demon Deacons did lose Travis McKie (graduation) and Arnaud Adala Moto (transfer), which makes the addition of Leonard an important one. Wake Forest also returns Tyler Cavanaugh, who accounted for 8.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per contest last season.
The 2014-15 season will be the first under head coach Danny Manning, who took over after the school decided not to retain Jeff Bzdelik.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)