May 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
In four seasons as the head coach at Clemson, Brad Brownell’s put together a record of 72 wins and 58 losses and his 32 ACC wins during that stretch is a record at the school. Friday morning the school announced that it has come to an agreement with Brownell on a new six-year contract. Larry Williams of Tiger Illustrated reported the how much the buyout would be in the new contract.
“I am thrilled to be the head basketball coach at Clemson and take great pride in the many accomplishments of our players on and off the court,” Brownell said in the release. “I look forward to building on the success of this past season and believe there is a great deal of positive momentum within the program. I would like to thank Dan Radakovich, President Jim Clements and the Board of Trustees for their confidence in my leadership for the future of our basketball program.
“I would also like to thank my coaching staff, as well as our current and former players for their hard work and contributions.”
Last year the Tigers won 23 games, reaching the semifinals of the Postseason NIT after winning just 13 games the season prior. Clemson suffered just one personnel loss from that team but it’s a big one, with wing K.J. McDaniels being the departure. McDaniels, who decided to forego his final season of eligibility, averaged 17.1 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game in 2013-14.
McDaniels was a second-team All-ACC selection by the coaches and a first-team selection by the media.
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Michigan’s process of adjusting to key personnel losses hasn’t been a smooth one 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)