May 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
In four seasons as the head coach at Clemson, Brad Brownell’s put together a record of 72 wins and 58 losses and his 32 ACC wins during that stretch is a record at the school. Friday morning the school announced that it has come to an agreement with Brownell on a new six-year contract. Larry Williams of Tiger Illustrated reported the how much the buyout would be in the new contract.
“I am thrilled to be the head basketball coach at Clemson and take great pride in the many accomplishments of our players on and off the court,” Brownell said in the release. “I look forward to building on the success of this past season and believe there is a great deal of positive momentum within the program. I would like to thank Dan Radakovich, President Jim Clements and the Board of Trustees for their confidence in my leadership for the future of our basketball program.
“I would also like to thank my coaching staff, as well as our current and former players for their hard work and contributions.”
Last year the Tigers won 23 games, reaching the semifinals of the Postseason NIT after winning just 13 games the season prior. Clemson suffered just one personnel loss from that team but it’s a big one, with wing K.J. McDaniels being the departure. McDaniels, who decided to forego his final season of eligibility, averaged 17.1 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game in 2013-14.
McDaniels was a second-team All-ACC selection by the coaches and a first-team selection by the media.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)