May 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
With Dai-Jon Parker being their lone upperclassman in the backcourt, Vanderbilt is going to be young on the perimeter in 2014-15. That’s been known for quite some time, yet what has also been known is the fact that head coach Kevin Stallings needed depth especially at the point guard position.
Vanderbilt filled a need on Friday, as Oak Hill Academy point guard Shelton Mitchell announced that he’s committed to the SEC school. Mitchell, a four-star prospect in the 2014 class, was originally a Wake Forest signee and chose the Commodores over Missouri.
In the last week Mitchell took official visits to both schools, and he also held an offer from California.
According to Chris Smith of 247Sports, academics and the visit to campus impacted Mitchell’s decision to commit to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt now has six players joining the program this summer as a result of Mitchell’s commitment, with one of those players being a transfer in Nolan Cressler (Cornell) who won’t be able to play in 2014-15.
Mitchell’s joined in the freshman class by fellow guards Wade Baldwin IV, Riley LaChance, Matthew Fisher-Davis and wing Jeff Roberson. Guard Kyle Fuller and forward Rod Odom, two of Vanderbilt’s top three scorers last season, are out of eligibility but the Commodores return a promising big man in Damian Jones in addition to Parker and senior forward James Siakam.
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)