May 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
With Dai-Jon Parker being their lone upperclassman in the backcourt, Vanderbilt is going to be young on the perimeter in 2014-15. That’s been known for quite some time, yet what has also been known is the fact that head coach Kevin Stallings needed depth especially at the point guard position.
Vanderbilt filled a need on Friday, as Oak Hill Academy point guard Shelton Mitchell announced that he’s committed to the SEC school. Mitchell, a four-star prospect in the 2014 class, was originally a Wake Forest signee and chose the Commodores over Missouri.
In the last week Mitchell took official visits to both schools, and he also held an offer from California.
According to Chris Smith of 247Sports, academics and the visit to campus impacted Mitchell’s decision to commit to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt now has six players joining the program this summer as a result of Mitchell’s commitment, with one of those players being a transfer in Nolan Cressler (Cornell) who won’t be able to play in 2014-15.
Mitchell’s joined in the freshman class by fellow guards Wade Baldwin IV, Riley LaChance, Matthew Fisher-Davis and wing Jeff Roberson. Guard Kyle Fuller and forward Rod Odom, two of Vanderbilt’s top three scorers last season, are out of eligibility but the Commodores return a promising big man in Damian Jones in addition to Parker and senior forward James Siakam.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)