May 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
With Dai-Jon Parker being their lone upperclassman in the backcourt, Vanderbilt is going to be young on the perimeter in 2014-15. That’s been known for quite some time, yet what has also been known is the fact that head coach Kevin Stallings needed depth especially at the point guard position.
Vanderbilt filled a need on Friday, as Oak Hill Academy point guard Shelton Mitchell announced that he’s committed to the SEC school. Mitchell, a four-star prospect in the 2014 class, was originally a Wake Forest signee and chose the Commodores over Missouri.
In the last week Mitchell took official visits to both schools, and he also held an offer from California.
According to Chris Smith of 247Sports, academics and the visit to campus impacted Mitchell’s decision to commit to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt now has six players joining the program this summer as a result of Mitchell’s commitment, with one of those players being a transfer in Nolan Cressler (Cornell) who won’t be able to play in 2014-15.
Mitchell’s joined in the freshman class by fellow guards Wade Baldwin IV, Riley LaChance, Matthew Fisher-Davis and wing Jeff Roberson. Guard Kyle Fuller and forward Rod Odom, two of Vanderbilt’s top three scorers last season, are out of eligibility but the Commodores return a promising big man in Damian Jones in addition to Parker and senior forward James Siakam.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)