May 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
With Dai-Jon Parker being their lone upperclassman in the backcourt, Vanderbilt is going to be young on the perimeter in 2014-15. That’s been known for quite some time, yet what has also been known is the fact that head coach Kevin Stallings needed depth especially at the point guard position.
Vanderbilt filled a need on Friday, as Oak Hill Academy point guard Shelton Mitchell announced that he’s committed to the SEC school. Mitchell, a four-star prospect in the 2014 class, was originally a Wake Forest signee and chose the Commodores over Missouri.
In the last week Mitchell took official visits to both schools, and he also held an offer from California.
According to Chris Smith of 247Sports, academics and the visit to campus impacted Mitchell’s decision to commit to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt now has six players joining the program this summer as a result of Mitchell’s commitment, with one of those players being a transfer in Nolan Cressler (Cornell) who won’t be able to play in 2014-15.
Mitchell’s joined in the freshman class by fellow guards Wade Baldwin IV, Riley LaChance, Matthew Fisher-Davis and wing Jeff Roberson. Guard Kyle Fuller and forward Rod Odom, two of Vanderbilt’s top three scorers last season, are out of eligibility but the Commodores return a promising big man in Damian Jones in addition to Parker and senior forward James Siakam.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)