May 23, 2014, 4:59 PM EST
During Providence’s late-season run that featured a Big East tournament title, sophomore guard Josh Fortune became a player more comfortable in his role and was a more assertive offensive player as a result. After reaching double figures in just six of Providence’s first 22 games, the Hampton, Va. native scored ten points or more in nine of the Friars’ final 13 games.
With Bryce Cotton and Kadeem Batts both out of eligibility, this offseason looked to be an important one for Fortune with the hope being that he could develop into a more consistent offensive option.
However it will be important for other reasons, as it was reported by Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal that Fortune has decided to transfer in hopes of playing at a school closer to his home. Given the aforementioned personnel losses, this isn’t good news for Ed Cooley and his staff. Fortune averaged 8.4 points and 3.0 rebounds per game as a sophomore, shooting 41.4% from the field and 35.0% from beyond the arc.
Providence was in search of additional depth on the perimeter prior to Fortune’s decision to transfer, so obviously there’s even more work to be done. One recruit the Friars are in the running for is former Washington State commit Tramaine Isabell, who announced via his Twitter account that he’s down to Providence and Missouri.
And could they also make a run at Antoine Mason, the nation’s leading returning scorer who has decided to leave Niagara for his final season?
Providence does return some perimeter talent, with Kris Dunn expected back after missing most of the 2013-14 season due to a shoulder injury and Tyler Harris and LaDontae Henton both being options on the wing. Providence also adds point guard Kyron Cartwright and small forward Jalen Lindsey to the program this summer (along with power forward Ben Bentil and center Paschal Chukwu), and based upon the loss of Fortune the hope for Providence fans is that the staff isn’t done making additions.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)