May 23, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
During Providence’s late-season run that featured a Big East tournament title, sophomore guard Josh Fortune became a player more comfortable in his role and was a more assertive offensive player as a result. After reaching double figures in just six of Providence’s first 22 games, the Hampton, Va. native scored ten points or more in nine of the Friars’ final 13 games.
With Bryce Cotton and Kadeem Batts both out of eligibility, this offseason looked to be an important one for Fortune with the hope being that he could develop into a more consistent offensive option.
However it will be important for other reasons, as it was reported by Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal that Fortune has decided to transfer in hopes of playing at a school closer to his home. Given the aforementioned personnel losses, this isn’t good news for Ed Cooley and his staff. Fortune averaged 8.4 points and 3.0 rebounds per game as a sophomore, shooting 41.4% from the field and 35.0% from beyond the arc.
Providence was in search of additional depth on the perimeter prior to Fortune’s decision to transfer, so obviously there’s even more work to be done. One recruit the Friars are in the running for is former Washington State commit Tramaine Isabell, who announced via his Twitter account that he’s down to Providence and Missouri.
And could they also make a run at Antoine Mason, the nation’s leading returning scorer who has decided to leave Niagara for his final season?
Providence does return some perimeter talent, with Kris Dunn expected back after missing most of the 2013-14 season due to a shoulder injury and Tyler Harris and LaDontae Henton both being options on the wing. Providence also adds point guard Kyron Cartwright and small forward Jalen Lindsey to the program this summer (along with power forward Ben Bentil and center Paschal Chukwu), and based upon the loss of Fortune the hope for Providence fans is that the staff isn’t done making additions.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)