May 23, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
While they aren’t mentioned too often during the NCAA tournament, conferences earn “units” based upon how far their members play into the 68-team event. Including the 2014 NCAA tournament each unit will be worth $255,379, and the money earned from those units tend to be distributed equally amongst conference members. So there isn’t a huge payoff for individual programs in this regard.
However schools can cash in from a publicity standpoint, with the success of their basketball team leading to increases in donations and college applications just to name two areas. And this can be especially important for schools who aren’t in the national spotlight as often as the most prestigious programs in college basketball.
One school that could see a boost as a result of its college basketball team’s deep run is Dayton, which reached the Elite Eight. According to a study done by the city, “the estimated publicity value for game play, television media, and social media is $72,660,482.”
The above video has a number just below the $72 million mark, but either way it’s evident that athletics have an impact on the way in which a school is perceived. This isn’t a foreign concept either, as schools such as Butler, VCU and Wichita State have benefitted from the extra attention that comes with a “Cinderella” run deep into the NCAA tournament.
The Dayton City Commissioners’ full report can be read here.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)