May 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
On Thursday ULM head coach Keith Richard made official the signing of former Illinois State forward Jamaal Samuel, giving the Warhawks another big man. Samuel, a 6-foot-9 forward, averaged 2.5 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.9 blocks per game last season for Illinois State. Samuel played just over 11 minutes per game for the Redbirds, with his most productive outing coming in a win over Northern Iowa in early February.
Samuel made all five of his field goal attempts in that game, finishing with ten points, five rebounds and two blocks. That was the only game in which he reached double figures offensively, with his best rebounding performance (eight) coming in a win over Bradley on February 15.
Samuel will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, and he’ll have two years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2015-16 campaign.
“Jamaal is a 6-9 kid with great length and a good skill level,” Richard said in the release. “He will benefit greatly from the year he has to sit out to comply with NCAA transfer rules. With added strength and experience, he will be a positive addition to our team in 2015-16.”
ULM loses two front court starters at the end of the 2014-15 season in small forward Tylor Ongwae and center Marvin Williams, with the former being the Warhawks’ lone double-digit scorer (16.1 ppg) a season ago. Samuel is ULM’s seventh newcomer this offseason, with four being junior college transfers.
ULM finished the 2013-14 season with a 10-17 record, going 7-11 in Sun Belt play.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)