May 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
On Thursday ULM head coach Keith Richard made official the signing of former Illinois State forward Jamaal Samuel, giving the Warhawks another big man. Samuel, a 6-foot-9 forward, averaged 2.5 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.9 blocks per game last season for Illinois State. Samuel played just over 11 minutes per game for the Redbirds, with his most productive outing coming in a win over Northern Iowa in early February.
Samuel made all five of his field goal attempts in that game, finishing with ten points, five rebounds and two blocks. That was the only game in which he reached double figures offensively, with his best rebounding performance (eight) coming in a win over Bradley on February 15.
Samuel will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, and he’ll have two years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2015-16 campaign.
“Jamaal is a 6-9 kid with great length and a good skill level,” Richard said in the release. “He will benefit greatly from the year he has to sit out to comply with NCAA transfer rules. With added strength and experience, he will be a positive addition to our team in 2015-16.”
ULM loses two front court starters at the end of the 2014-15 season in small forward Tylor Ongwae and center Marvin Williams, with the former being the Warhawks’ lone double-digit scorer (16.1 ppg) a season ago. Samuel is ULM’s seventh newcomer this offseason, with four being junior college transfers.
ULM finished the 2013-14 season with a 10-17 record, going 7-11 in Sun Belt play.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)