May 24, 2014, 11:48 AM EST
Bruce Pearl was hired by Auburn this March despite the fact that he still had almost five months remaining on his show-cause penalty.
Pearl can be a figurehead for the Auburn program, but until August 24th, he is not allowed to take part in any recruiting for the program. He can’t call players. He can’t interact with them on twitter. He can’t speak to them if they visit campus. Nothing. He’s not involved in the process at all.
“When I received my show-cause penalty from the NCAA in August 2011, I chose then not to appeal as it would lessen my position of accountability,” Pearl said back in April. “Auburn University, the SEC and the NCAA have given me an opportunity to return to coaching before my show-cause ends and I am grateful.”
He may be regretting that decision now, however, as he told the Montgomery Adviser that his inability to recruit has already cost his program players.
“We have lost prospects that we’ve recruited,” Pearl told the paper, “and we have been unable to get prospects to visit because they know they can’t meet me, talk to me, see me and I’m not part of the recruiting experience.”
“Could I take full advantage in recruiting, of the momentum that my hiring brought? No I couldn’t and it’s cost us a couple of really good players. But that’s OK. That’s part of a show-cause.”
Pearl hasn’t missed on every recruit, however. New Mexico State transfer K.C. Ross-Miller committed to the program last week, as did Alabama native T.J. Lang, a three-star small forward. Cinmeon Bowers, the nation’s No. 1 JuCo recruit, committed to the program as well.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)