May 24, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Bruce Pearl was hired by Auburn this March despite the fact that he still had almost five months remaining on his show-cause penalty.
Pearl can be a figurehead for the Auburn program, but until August 24th, he is not allowed to take part in any recruiting for the program. He can’t call players. He can’t interact with them on twitter. He can’t speak to them if they visit campus. Nothing. He’s not involved in the process at all.
“When I received my show-cause penalty from the NCAA in August 2011, I chose then not to appeal as it would lessen my position of accountability,” Pearl said back in April. “Auburn University, the SEC and the NCAA have given me an opportunity to return to coaching before my show-cause ends and I am grateful.”
He may be regretting that decision now, however, as he told the Montgomery Adviser that his inability to recruit has already cost his program players.
“We have lost prospects that we’ve recruited,” Pearl told the paper, “and we have been unable to get prospects to visit because they know they can’t meet me, talk to me, see me and I’m not part of the recruiting experience.”
“Could I take full advantage in recruiting, of the momentum that my hiring brought? No I couldn’t and it’s cost us a couple of really good players. But that’s OK. That’s part of a show-cause.”
Pearl hasn’t missed on every recruit, however. New Mexico State transfer K.C. Ross-Miller committed to the program last week, as did Alabama native T.J. Lang, a three-star small forward. Cinmeon Bowers, the nation’s No. 1 JuCo recruit, committed to the program as well.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)