May 24, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Bruce Pearl was hired by Auburn this March despite the fact that he still had almost five months remaining on his show-cause penalty.
Pearl can be a figurehead for the Auburn program, but until August 24th, he is not allowed to take part in any recruiting for the program. He can’t call players. He can’t interact with them on twitter. He can’t speak to them if they visit campus. Nothing. He’s not involved in the process at all.
“When I received my show-cause penalty from the NCAA in August 2011, I chose then not to appeal as it would lessen my position of accountability,” Pearl said back in April. “Auburn University, the SEC and the NCAA have given me an opportunity to return to coaching before my show-cause ends and I am grateful.”
He may be regretting that decision now, however, as he told the Montgomery Adviser that his inability to recruit has already cost his program players.
“We have lost prospects that we’ve recruited,” Pearl told the paper, “and we have been unable to get prospects to visit because they know they can’t meet me, talk to me, see me and I’m not part of the recruiting experience.”
“Could I take full advantage in recruiting, of the momentum that my hiring brought? No I couldn’t and it’s cost us a couple of really good players. But that’s OK. That’s part of a show-cause.”
Pearl hasn’t missed on every recruit, however. New Mexico State transfer K.C. Ross-Miller committed to the program last week, as did Alabama native T.J. Lang, a three-star small forward. Cinmeon Bowers, the nation’s No. 1 JuCo recruit, committed to the program as well.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)