May 24, 2014, 11:48 AM EST
Bruce Pearl was hired by Auburn this March despite the fact that he still had almost five months remaining on his show-cause penalty.
Pearl can be a figurehead for the Auburn program, but until August 24th, he is not allowed to take part in any recruiting for the program. He can’t call players. He can’t interact with them on twitter. He can’t speak to them if they visit campus. Nothing. He’s not involved in the process at all.
“When I received my show-cause penalty from the NCAA in August 2011, I chose then not to appeal as it would lessen my position of accountability,” Pearl said back in April. “Auburn University, the SEC and the NCAA have given me an opportunity to return to coaching before my show-cause ends and I am grateful.”
He may be regretting that decision now, however, as he told the Montgomery Adviser that his inability to recruit has already cost his program players.
“We have lost prospects that we’ve recruited,” Pearl told the paper, “and we have been unable to get prospects to visit because they know they can’t meet me, talk to me, see me and I’m not part of the recruiting experience.”
“Could I take full advantage in recruiting, of the momentum that my hiring brought? No I couldn’t and it’s cost us a couple of really good players. But that’s OK. That’s part of a show-cause.”
Pearl hasn’t missed on every recruit, however. New Mexico State transfer K.C. Ross-Miller committed to the program last week, as did Alabama native T.J. Lang, a three-star small forward. Cinmeon Bowers, the nation’s No. 1 JuCo recruit, committed to the program as well.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 2
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 1
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)