May 24, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Bruce Pearl was hired by Auburn this March despite the fact that he still had almost five months remaining on his show-cause penalty.
Pearl can be a figurehead for the Auburn program, but until August 24th, he is not allowed to take part in any recruiting for the program. He can’t call players. He can’t interact with them on twitter. He can’t speak to them if they visit campus. Nothing. He’s not involved in the process at all.
“When I received my show-cause penalty from the NCAA in August 2011, I chose then not to appeal as it would lessen my position of accountability,” Pearl said back in April. “Auburn University, the SEC and the NCAA have given me an opportunity to return to coaching before my show-cause ends and I am grateful.”
He may be regretting that decision now, however, as he told the Montgomery Adviser that his inability to recruit has already cost his program players.
“We have lost prospects that we’ve recruited,” Pearl told the paper, “and we have been unable to get prospects to visit because they know they can’t meet me, talk to me, see me and I’m not part of the recruiting experience.”
“Could I take full advantage in recruiting, of the momentum that my hiring brought? No I couldn’t and it’s cost us a couple of really good players. But that’s OK. That’s part of a show-cause.”
Pearl hasn’t missed on every recruit, however. New Mexico State transfer K.C. Ross-Miller committed to the program last week, as did Alabama native T.J. Lang, a three-star small forward. Cinmeon Bowers, the nation’s No. 1 JuCo recruit, committed to the program as well.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)