May 24, 2014, 1:04 PM EST
The hell that Leticia Romero is being put through by Kansas State took its weirdest turn to date on Saturday.
According to a report from The Manhattan Mercury, Romero was actually given a release by Kansas State to visit and potentially transfer to Middle Tennessee State.
It wasn’t intentional, however. It was a “clerical error”. You see, Middle Tennessee State was on the initial list of 94 schools that Romero gave to Kansas State when she was asking to be released, but Romero believes that Kansas State didn’t realize it until after they granted her a release to the school on Thursday.
The school tried to rescind the release, but the NCAA ruled that once a release has been given, it cannot be retracted.
It’s final and binding, which just so happens to be the language that Kansas State used when they released a statement on Wednesday night saying that it wasn’t possible for them to give Romero a release to any of the schools on her list because she had already been denied by the Appeals Committee.
But this is proof that Kansas State can, actually, do the right thing and grant Romero a release.
They just don’t want to.
Enough is enough.
Someone at Kansas State needs to step in and realize that the school is getting mountains of negative PR for an athlete in a non-revenue sport by upholding a rule that is likely to be changed when the Power Five conferences are given autonomy.
It’s utterly incompetent and another stain on the reputation of Athletic Director John Currie, whose inability to get along with former head coach Frank Martin reportedly drove Martin to take the job at South Carolina.
If you would like to email Currie to let him know just how stupid and petulant he is being, here is the link.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)