May 24, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
The hell that Leticia Romero is being put through by Kansas State took its weirdest turn to date on Saturday.
According to a report from The Manhattan Mercury, Romero was actually given a release by Kansas State to visit and potentially transfer to Middle Tennessee State.
It wasn’t intentional, however. It was a “clerical error”. You see, Middle Tennessee State was on the initial list of 94 schools that Romero gave to Kansas State when she was asking to be released, but Romero believes that Kansas State didn’t realize it until after they granted her a release to the school on Thursday.
The school tried to rescind the release, but the NCAA ruled that once a release has been given, it cannot be retracted.
It’s final and binding, which just so happens to be the language that Kansas State used when they released a statement on Wednesday night saying that it wasn’t possible for them to give Romero a release to any of the schools on her list because she had already been denied by the Appeals Committee.
But this is proof that Kansas State can, actually, do the right thing and grant Romero a release.
They just don’t want to.
Enough is enough.
Someone at Kansas State needs to step in and realize that the school is getting mountains of negative PR for an athlete in a non-revenue sport by upholding a rule that is likely to be changed when the Power Five conferences are given autonomy.
It’s utterly incompetent and another stain on the reputation of Athletic Director John Currie, whose inability to get along with former head coach Frank Martin reportedly drove Martin to take the job at South Carolina.
If you would like to email Currie to let him know just how stupid and petulant he is being, here is the link.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)