May 24, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
The hell that Leticia Romero is being put through by Kansas State took its weirdest turn to date on Saturday.
According to a report from The Manhattan Mercury, Romero was actually given a release by Kansas State to visit and potentially transfer to Middle Tennessee State.
It wasn’t intentional, however. It was a “clerical error”. You see, Middle Tennessee State was on the initial list of 94 schools that Romero gave to Kansas State when she was asking to be released, but Romero believes that Kansas State didn’t realize it until after they granted her a release to the school on Thursday.
The school tried to rescind the release, but the NCAA ruled that once a release has been given, it cannot be retracted.
It’s final and binding, which just so happens to be the language that Kansas State used when they released a statement on Wednesday night saying that it wasn’t possible for them to give Romero a release to any of the schools on her list because she had already been denied by the Appeals Committee.
But this is proof that Kansas State can, actually, do the right thing and grant Romero a release.
They just don’t want to.
Enough is enough.
Someone at Kansas State needs to step in and realize that the school is getting mountains of negative PR for an athlete in a non-revenue sport by upholding a rule that is likely to be changed when the Power Five conferences are given autonomy.
It’s utterly incompetent and another stain on the reputation of Athletic Director John Currie, whose inability to get along with former head coach Frank Martin reportedly drove Martin to take the job at South Carolina.
If you would like to email Currie to let him know just how stupid and petulant he is being, here is the link.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)