May 24, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
The hell that Leticia Romero is being put through by Kansas State took its weirdest turn to date on Saturday.
According to a report from The Manhattan Mercury, Romero was actually given a release by Kansas State to visit and potentially transfer to Middle Tennessee State.
It wasn’t intentional, however. It was a “clerical error”. You see, Middle Tennessee State was on the initial list of 94 schools that Romero gave to Kansas State when she was asking to be released, but Romero believes that Kansas State didn’t realize it until after they granted her a release to the school on Thursday.
The school tried to rescind the release, but the NCAA ruled that once a release has been given, it cannot be retracted.
It’s final and binding, which just so happens to be the language that Kansas State used when they released a statement on Wednesday night saying that it wasn’t possible for them to give Romero a release to any of the schools on her list because she had already been denied by the Appeals Committee.
But this is proof that Kansas State can, actually, do the right thing and grant Romero a release.
They just don’t want to.
Enough is enough.
Someone at Kansas State needs to step in and realize that the school is getting mountains of negative PR for an athlete in a non-revenue sport by upholding a rule that is likely to be changed when the Power Five conferences are given autonomy.
It’s utterly incompetent and another stain on the reputation of Athletic Director John Currie, whose inability to get along with former head coach Frank Martin reportedly drove Martin to take the job at South Carolina.
If you would like to email Currie to let him know just how stupid and petulant he is being, here is the link.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)