May 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
The Pac-12 is the richest conference in the country.
It’s weird to think about that, isn’t it?
I mean, the Big Ten is the league that is gobbling up the likes of Rutgers and Maryland strictly for their monetary value while the SEC reigns supreme when it comes to football and passionate fan bases.
But according to a report from USA Today, the Pac-12 was the conference that reported the most revenue during the fiscal year that ended on June 30th, 2013. The Pac-12 reported $334 million in revenue, while the Big Ten $318.4 million and the SEC generated $314.5 million.
That was the first year of their 12-year, $3 billion media rights deal, which is what was responsible for the jump. During the 2011-2012 fiscal year, the conference reported $175.9 million. In 2010-2011, their revenue was $111.8 million.
You can see why it’s so important for schools outside of the Power Five conferences to try and find a way into a Power Five conference. That’s an unbelievable amount of money, which also makes you wonder why it’s so hard to find a way to pay the athletes that are responsible for generating that revenue. The Pac-12 made $158.1 million more in 2012-2013 than it did the year before. I’m sure every penny of that was already earmarked for … something?
I guess PAC-12 commissioner Larry Scott is earning that $3.3 million salary.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)