May 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The Pac-12 is the richest conference in the country.
It’s weird to think about that, isn’t it?
I mean, the Big Ten is the league that is gobbling up the likes of Rutgers and Maryland strictly for their monetary value while the SEC reigns supreme when it comes to football and passionate fan bases.
But according to a report from USA Today, the Pac-12 was the conference that reported the most revenue during the fiscal year that ended on June 30th, 2013. The Pac-12 reported $334 million in revenue, while the Big Ten $318.4 million and the SEC generated $314.5 million.
That was the first year of their 12-year, $3 billion media rights deal, which is what was responsible for the jump. During the 2011-2012 fiscal year, the conference reported $175.9 million. In 2010-2011, their revenue was $111.8 million.
You can see why it’s so important for schools outside of the Power Five conferences to try and find a way into a Power Five conference. That’s an unbelievable amount of money, which also makes you wonder why it’s so hard to find a way to pay the athletes that are responsible for generating that revenue. The Pac-12 made $158.1 million more in 2012-2013 than it did the year before. I’m sure every penny of that was already earmarked for … something?
I guess PAC-12 commissioner Larry Scott is earning that $3.3 million salary.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)