May 24, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
The story of Lacey Holsworth is one that received a of attention over the last two years and with good reason. Fighting cancer, Holsworth’s friendship with former Michigan State forward Adreian Payne served as an inspiration for many and that remains the case to this day.
Holsworth lost her battle in early April, and her determination led to three sisters in Louisville paying tribute to her in their own way.
In a story written by Adam Himmelsbach of the Louisville Courier-Journal, horse owner Greg James discussed the impact that Holsworth’s story had on his three daughters who are between the ages of seven and 12. With Holsworth being eight years old at the time of her passing, the story was one the girls could identify with.
What happened next made James proud, and it made him hug his girls a little tighter. They approached him after Lacey’s death and said they wanted her to be remembered. They didn’t want people to forget.
The James family, which owns racehorses on a 57-acre farm east of in Middletown, happened to have a young filly preparing for her first race. James had planned to name her Interesting’s Bull, but Ericka asked if they could name her Lacey the Spartan instead.
“I just felt bad so for her family,” Ericka said. “I wanted to name our horse in her honor.”
James stated in the story that should Lacey the Spartan, who finished fourth in her first race, earn winnings he would like to donate a portion to charity in Holsworth’s name.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)