May 25, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
When 6-foot-8 power forward Robert Carter made the decision last month to leave Georgia Tech after two seasons, he became one of the most sought-after transfers on the market. Carter averaged 11.4 points and 8.4 rebounds per game last season for the Yellow Jackets, and the rebounding figure would have placed Carter third in the ACC had he played in enough games to be eligible for individual rankings.
With the production comes attention, and according to Jeff Erman of InsideMDSports Maryland is one program in the running for Carter’s services. Also of note in the report is that Carter could be visiting College Park in the near future. Maryland recently lost Charles Mitchell, who decided to transfer, and the addition of another front court player would be a good move for Mark Turgeon’s program with an eye towards the future.
Both Jon Graham and Evan Smotrycz will be seniors in 2014-15, leaving sophomore Damontre Dodd and incoming freshmen Michal Cekovsky and Trayvon Reed as players who have eligibility remaining at the conclusion of the Terrapins’ first season in the Big Ten.
However Maryland isn’t the only program expressing interest in Carter according to Erman’s report, with Kansas, St. John’s and South Carolina also being options at present time. Both Kansas and St. John’s are in need of another body in the front court with an eye towards 2015-16, and the same can be said for South Carolina despite the fact that three of their current front court players are rising juniors and a fourth (Demetrius Henry) is a rising sophomore.
After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, Carter will have two years of eligibility remaining.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 1
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)