May 25, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
When 6-foot-8 power forward Robert Carter made the decision last month to leave Georgia Tech after two seasons, he became one of the most sought-after transfers on the market. Carter averaged 11.4 points and 8.4 rebounds per game last season for the Yellow Jackets, and the rebounding figure would have placed Carter third in the ACC had he played in enough games to be eligible for individual rankings.
With the production comes attention, and according to Jeff Erman of InsideMDSports Maryland is one program in the running for Carter’s services. Also of note in the report is that Carter could be visiting College Park in the near future. Maryland recently lost Charles Mitchell, who decided to transfer, and the addition of another front court player would be a good move for Mark Turgeon’s program with an eye towards the future.
Both Jon Graham and Evan Smotrycz will be seniors in 2014-15, leaving sophomore Damontre Dodd and incoming freshmen Michal Cekovsky and Trayvon Reed as players who have eligibility remaining at the conclusion of the Terrapins’ first season in the Big Ten.
However Maryland isn’t the only program expressing interest in Carter according to Erman’s report, with Kansas, St. John’s and South Carolina also being options at present time. Both Kansas and St. John’s are in need of another body in the front court with an eye towards 2015-16, and the same can be said for South Carolina despite the fact that three of their current front court players are rising juniors and a fourth (Demetrius Henry) is a rising sophomore.
After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, Carter will have two years of eligibility remaining.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)