May 25, 2014, 11:08 PM EST
When 6-foot-8 power forward Robert Carter made the decision last month to leave Georgia Tech after two seasons, he became one of the most sought-after transfers on the market. Carter averaged 11.4 points and 8.4 rebounds per game last season for the Yellow Jackets, and the rebounding figure would have placed Carter third in the ACC had he played in enough games to be eligible for individual rankings.
With the production comes attention, and according to Jeff Erman of InsideMDSports Maryland is one program in the running for Carter’s services. Also of note in the report is that Carter could be visiting College Park in the near future. Maryland recently lost Charles Mitchell, who decided to transfer, and the addition of another front court player would be a good move for Mark Turgeon’s program with an eye towards the future.
Both Jon Graham and Evan Smotrycz will be seniors in 2014-15, leaving sophomore Damontre Dodd and incoming freshmen Michal Cekovsky and Trayvon Reed as players who have eligibility remaining at the conclusion of the Terrapins’ first season in the Big Ten.
However Maryland isn’t the only program expressing interest in Carter according to Erman’s report, with Kansas, St. John’s and South Carolina also being options at present time. Both Kansas and St. John’s are in need of another body in the front court with an eye towards 2015-16, and the same can be said for South Carolina despite the fact that three of their current front court players are rising juniors and a fourth (Demetrius Henry) is a rising sophomore.
After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, Carter will have two years of eligibility remaining.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)