May 26, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Andrew White was a top 50 recruit coming out of high school in the Class of 2012, but he just so happened to wind up at Kansas at the same time as a string of talented wing players.
As a freshman, it was top ten pick Ben McLemore and seniors Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford that played the majority of the back court minutes. As a sophomore, Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden joined the fray, with Brannen Greene and Frank Mason working their way into the rotation over White.
Things didn’t look any better heading into next season, as Selden is back and will start alongside Kelly Oubre, with Greene, Mason, Devonte Graham and Connor Frankamp all vying for minutes as well. When it became clear that the Jayhawks were heavily in the mix for Ukranian phenom Sviatislav Mykhailiuk, who will be at Kansas for at least two years, the writing on the wall became too clear to ignore.
So White transferred.
But that doesn’t mean that he’s not good at basketball anymore.
Notre Dame, Florida State, Wake Forest, Miami and Maryland have reportedly reached out to the North Carolina native, but White’s interest seems to be piqued by another school in the midwest: Nebraska. The in for the Huskers? Assistant coach Kenya Hunter, who recruited White when Hunter was still at Georgetown.
“I definitely noticed that Nebraska has a pretty good history of transfers,” White told Huskers Illustrated. “But I was looking at the school more in terms of their playing situation for me as opposed to what they’ve done with transfers in the past, because every player is different. I like coach Hunter. Coach Miles (Tim, head coach) seems like a great guy, and he’s really had that program going in the right direction. Just seeing their football program and things like that, I know that their fan support is on an extreme level. I just feel like it would be a pretty good situation all around.”
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)