May 26, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Andrew White was a top 50 recruit coming out of high school in the Class of 2012, but he just so happened to wind up at Kansas at the same time as a string of talented wing players.
As a freshman, it was top ten pick Ben McLemore and seniors Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford that played the majority of the back court minutes. As a sophomore, Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden joined the fray, with Brannen Greene and Frank Mason working their way into the rotation over White.
Things didn’t look any better heading into next season, as Selden is back and will start alongside Kelly Oubre, with Greene, Mason, Devonte Graham and Connor Frankamp all vying for minutes as well. When it became clear that the Jayhawks were heavily in the mix for Ukranian phenom Sviatislav Mykhailiuk, who will be at Kansas for at least two years, the writing on the wall became too clear to ignore.
So White transferred.
But that doesn’t mean that he’s not good at basketball anymore.
Notre Dame, Florida State, Wake Forest, Miami and Maryland have reportedly reached out to the North Carolina native, but White’s interest seems to be piqued by another school in the midwest: Nebraska. The in for the Huskers? Assistant coach Kenya Hunter, who recruited White when Hunter was still at Georgetown.
“I definitely noticed that Nebraska has a pretty good history of transfers,” White told Huskers Illustrated. “But I was looking at the school more in terms of their playing situation for me as opposed to what they’ve done with transfers in the past, because every player is different. I like coach Hunter. Coach Miles (Tim, head coach) seems like a great guy, and he’s really had that program going in the right direction. Just seeing their football program and things like that, I know that their fan support is on an extreme level. I just feel like it would be a pretty good situation all around.”
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)