May 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
With South Carolina, Akron, Cornell, Miami, Penn State and USC already committed to the 2014 Gildan Charleston Classic, tournament organizers had two spots to fill for the eight-team event. Tuesday afternoon the two schools were announced, with Charlotte and Drexel being the programs who will round out the field.
The games will be played on November 21, 22 and 24 at the College of Charleston, and the 2014 edition will be the seventh in the history of the event. Miami made the most of its one prior trip to Charleston, winning the event in 2009. And with transfer guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan eligible the Hurricanes will have more depth than they did last season.
South Carolina will be a year older and USC has a very good recruiting class, led by point guard Jordan McLaughlin, to rely on after taking their lumps in the first season of the Andy Enfield era. Penn State returns D.J. Newbill from last season’s team, with Akron looking to account for the loss of key players such as forward Demetrius Treadwell.
As for the two additions, Charlotte won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off last season but failed to perform at that level in conference play. The good news for the 49ers is that point guard Pierria Henry will be back for his senior season. Drexel loses Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat but Damian Lee, who missed much of last season due to a torn ACL, will be back for Bruiser Flint’s Dragons.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)