May 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
With South Carolina, Akron, Cornell, Miami, Penn State and USC already committed to the 2014 Gildan Charleston Classic, tournament organizers had two spots to fill for the eight-team event. Tuesday afternoon the two schools were announced, with Charlotte and Drexel being the programs who will round out the field.
The games will be played on November 21, 22 and 24 at the College of Charleston, and the 2014 edition will be the seventh in the history of the event. Miami made the most of its one prior trip to Charleston, winning the event in 2009. And with transfer guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan eligible the Hurricanes will have more depth than they did last season.
South Carolina will be a year older and USC has a very good recruiting class, led by point guard Jordan McLaughlin, to rely on after taking their lumps in the first season of the Andy Enfield era. Penn State returns D.J. Newbill from last season’s team, with Akron looking to account for the loss of key players such as forward Demetrius Treadwell.
As for the two additions, Charlotte won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off last season but failed to perform at that level in conference play. The good news for the 49ers is that point guard Pierria Henry will be back for his senior season. Drexel loses Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat but Damian Lee, who missed much of last season due to a torn ACL, will be back for Bruiser Flint’s Dragons.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 3
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)