May 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
With South Carolina, Akron, Cornell, Miami, Penn State and USC already committed to the 2014 Gildan Charleston Classic, tournament organizers had two spots to fill for the eight-team event. Tuesday afternoon the two schools were announced, with Charlotte and Drexel being the programs who will round out the field.
The games will be played on November 21, 22 and 24 at the College of Charleston, and the 2014 edition will be the seventh in the history of the event. Miami made the most of its one prior trip to Charleston, winning the event in 2009. And with transfer guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan eligible the Hurricanes will have more depth than they did last season.
South Carolina will be a year older and USC has a very good recruiting class, led by point guard Jordan McLaughlin, to rely on after taking their lumps in the first season of the Andy Enfield era. Penn State returns D.J. Newbill from last season’s team, with Akron looking to account for the loss of key players such as forward Demetrius Treadwell.
As for the two additions, Charlotte won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off last season but failed to perform at that level in conference play. The good news for the 49ers is that point guard Pierria Henry will be back for his senior season. Drexel loses Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat but Damian Lee, who missed much of last season due to a torn ACL, will be back for Bruiser Flint’s Dragons.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)