May 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
With South Carolina, Akron, Cornell, Miami, Penn State and USC already committed to the 2014 Gildan Charleston Classic, tournament organizers had two spots to fill for the eight-team event. Tuesday afternoon the two schools were announced, with Charlotte and Drexel being the programs who will round out the field.
The games will be played on November 21, 22 and 24 at the College of Charleston, and the 2014 edition will be the seventh in the history of the event. Miami made the most of its one prior trip to Charleston, winning the event in 2009. And with transfer guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan eligible the Hurricanes will have more depth than they did last season.
South Carolina will be a year older and USC has a very good recruiting class, led by point guard Jordan McLaughlin, to rely on after taking their lumps in the first season of the Andy Enfield era. Penn State returns D.J. Newbill from last season’s team, with Akron looking to account for the loss of key players such as forward Demetrius Treadwell.
As for the two additions, Charlotte won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off last season but failed to perform at that level in conference play. The good news for the 49ers is that point guard Pierria Henry will be back for his senior season. Drexel loses Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat but Damian Lee, who missed much of last season due to a torn ACL, will be back for Bruiser Flint’s Dragons.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)