May 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Charles Mitchell became the latest departure from the Maryland program when he announced his transfer last week. The sophomore forward was looking to return closer to his home in Atlanta to be with his grandmother.
“I loved playing for Coach [Mark Turgeron]. He is a great man and a great coach. The reason I decided to leave Maryland is to be near my grandmother who has been ill over the past year,” Mitchell said in a statement issued by the university on Thursday. “Knowing that she raised me and is still a very big part of my life, I decided to move closer to home. It’s important for me to be there for my grandmother and to help support my family. I didn’t want to leave, but I have to put family first.”
Less than a week on the market and Alabama, Auburn, College of Charleston, Georgia and Georgia Tech have become five schools Mitchell is considering, according to Jeff Ermann of InsideMDSports.com. Mitchell has not scheduled any visits to this point, but it appears Auburn, Georgia and Georgia Tech are currently the favorites.
Auburn has been a very active program since hiring Bruce Pearl (despite his show-cause penalty), in contention for several notable transfers, including New Mexico State guard K.C. Ross-Miller, who committed to the Tigers on May 19. Georgia Tech is looking to replace Robert Carter Jr., who left the Yellow Jackets after his sophomore season. Coincidentally, the 6-foot-8 forward is considering Mitchell’s former school, along with other high-major programs. Georgia finished third in the SEC standings, and graduates one starter — second-leading rebounder Donte’ Williams — from last season’s 20-win team.
Mitchell could apply for a hardship waiver, and would have two years of eligibility remaining. The 6-foot-8 ex-Terrapin averaged 6.5 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. He is the fifth player to leave Maryland this spring.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)