May 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Charles Mitchell became the latest departure from the Maryland program when he announced his transfer last week. The sophomore forward was looking to return closer to his home in Atlanta to be with his grandmother.
“I loved playing for Coach [Mark Turgeron]. He is a great man and a great coach. The reason I decided to leave Maryland is to be near my grandmother who has been ill over the past year,” Mitchell said in a statement issued by the university on Thursday. “Knowing that she raised me and is still a very big part of my life, I decided to move closer to home. It’s important for me to be there for my grandmother and to help support my family. I didn’t want to leave, but I have to put family first.”
Less than a week on the market and Alabama, Auburn, College of Charleston, Georgia and Georgia Tech have become five schools Mitchell is considering, according to Jeff Ermann of InsideMDSports.com. Mitchell has not scheduled any visits to this point, but it appears Auburn, Georgia and Georgia Tech are currently the favorites.
Auburn has been a very active program since hiring Bruce Pearl (despite his show-cause penalty), in contention for several notable transfers, including New Mexico State guard K.C. Ross-Miller, who committed to the Tigers on May 19. Georgia Tech is looking to replace Robert Carter Jr., who left the Yellow Jackets after his sophomore season. Coincidentally, the 6-foot-8 forward is considering Mitchell’s former school, along with other high-major programs. Georgia finished third in the SEC standings, and graduates one starter — second-leading rebounder Donte’ Williams — from last season’s 20-win team.
Mitchell could apply for a hardship waiver, and would have two years of eligibility remaining. The 6-foot-8 ex-Terrapin averaged 6.5 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. He is the fifth player to leave Maryland this spring.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)