May 28, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Michael White’s Louisiana Tech Bulldogs enjoyed a highly successful debut season in Conference USA, winning 29 games and reaching the quarterfinals of the Postseason NIT. Three players on the periphery of the rotation that pressured its way to a share of the Conference USA regular season title, forwards Isaiah Massey and Stojan Gjuroski and center Gilbert Talbot, will be leaving the program.
Massey (academically ineligible for the postseason) played in 31 games last season, starting three, and he averaged 3.4 points and 3.2 rebounds in just under 13 minutes of action per contest. Massey, who redshirted at Ole Miss in 2011-12, just completed his junior season at Louisiana Tech. Gjuroski (0.8 ppg, 1.1 rpg) is expected to explore professional opportunities overseas.
As for the 6-foot-10 Talbot, he played just 6.4 minutes per game in 2013-14. And according to Casey Gisclair of the Tri-Parish Times the big man has already decided on a new school, as he’ll be transferring to New Orleans.
Talbot will have two years of eligibility to play after sitting out the 2014-15 season, and in Gisclair’s story Talbot noted his familiarity with head coach Mark Slessenger and many of the players on the roster as key factors in his decision to transfer to New Orleans.
“A lot of times coaches tell you something to get your interest, but then they don’t follow through with it,” Talbot told Gisclair. “But everything he’s told me, I’ve taken it back to my friends on the team and talked to them about it. They all told me the same thing. They all tell me that Coach Slessinger is legit. If he says something, then that’s how it’s going to go down.”
h/t La Tech Report
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)