May 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
On the heels of winning the Mountain West regular season title and reaching the Sweet 16, San Diego State is expected to be one of the favorites to win the conference in 2014-15 due in part to the arrival of a very good 2014 recruiting class. With those four players on board, the next course of action for Steve Fisher and his staff is to begin building a class for the 2015-16 season.
San Diego State landed its first verbal commitment in the 2015 class Thursday afternoon, with 6-foot-3 shooting guard Jeremy Hemsley announcing his decision via Twitter. Hemsley, a four-star product from La Verne, Calif., was also considering Arizona State, Colorado and Washington.
Hemsley has been praised by scouts for his ability as a defender, and he’s also a player who can score by attacking the basket or knocking down shots on the perimeter. As a junior at Damien High School, Hemsley averaged 22 points per game.
San Diego State will lose at least three players at the end of the 2014-15 season, with guard Aqeel Quinn and forwards J.J. O’Brien and Dwayne Polee Jr. all being seniors, so there are some holes the program will need to fill on the recruiting trail. Adding Hemsley to the fold is certainly a positive first step for San Diego State in accomplishing that task.
The question now is who else joins the talented guard in the months to come.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)