May 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
On the heels of winning the Mountain West regular season title and reaching the Sweet 16, San Diego State is expected to be one of the favorites to win the conference in 2014-15 due in part to the arrival of a very good 2014 recruiting class. With those four players on board, the next course of action for Steve Fisher and his staff is to begin building a class for the 2015-16 season.
San Diego State landed its first verbal commitment in the 2015 class Thursday afternoon, with 6-foot-3 shooting guard Jeremy Hemsley announcing his decision via Twitter. Hemsley, a four-star product from La Verne, Calif., was also considering Arizona State, Colorado and Washington.
Hemsley has been praised by scouts for his ability as a defender, and he’s also a player who can score by attacking the basket or knocking down shots on the perimeter. As a junior at Damien High School, Hemsley averaged 22 points per game.
San Diego State will lose at least three players at the end of the 2014-15 season, with guard Aqeel Quinn and forwards J.J. O’Brien and Dwayne Polee Jr. all being seniors, so there are some holes the program will need to fill on the recruiting trail. Adding Hemsley to the fold is certainly a positive first step for San Diego State in accomplishing that task.
The question now is who else joins the talented guard in the months to come.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)