May 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
On the heels of winning the Mountain West regular season title and reaching the Sweet 16, San Diego State is expected to be one of the favorites to win the conference in 2014-15 due in part to the arrival of a very good 2014 recruiting class. With those four players on board, the next course of action for Steve Fisher and his staff is to begin building a class for the 2015-16 season.
San Diego State landed its first verbal commitment in the 2015 class Thursday afternoon, with 6-foot-3 shooting guard Jeremy Hemsley announcing his decision via Twitter. Hemsley, a four-star product from La Verne, Calif., was also considering Arizona State, Colorado and Washington.
Hemsley has been praised by scouts for his ability as a defender, and he’s also a player who can score by attacking the basket or knocking down shots on the perimeter. As a junior at Damien High School, Hemsley averaged 22 points per game.
San Diego State will lose at least three players at the end of the 2014-15 season, with guard Aqeel Quinn and forwards J.J. O’Brien and Dwayne Polee Jr. all being seniors, so there are some holes the program will need to fill on the recruiting trail. Adding Hemsley to the fold is certainly a positive first step for San Diego State in accomplishing that task.
The question now is who else joins the talented guard in the months to come.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)