May 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
On the heels of winning the Mountain West regular season title and reaching the Sweet 16, San Diego State is expected to be one of the favorites to win the conference in 2014-15 due in part to the arrival of a very good 2014 recruiting class. With those four players on board, the next course of action for Steve Fisher and his staff is to begin building a class for the 2015-16 season.
San Diego State landed its first verbal commitment in the 2015 class Thursday afternoon, with 6-foot-3 shooting guard Jeremy Hemsley announcing his decision via Twitter. Hemsley, a four-star product from La Verne, Calif., was also considering Arizona State, Colorado and Washington.
Hemsley has been praised by scouts for his ability as a defender, and he’s also a player who can score by attacking the basket or knocking down shots on the perimeter. As a junior at Damien High School, Hemsley averaged 22 points per game.
San Diego State will lose at least three players at the end of the 2014-15 season, with guard Aqeel Quinn and forwards J.J. O’Brien and Dwayne Polee Jr. all being seniors, so there are some holes the program will need to fill on the recruiting trail. Adding Hemsley to the fold is certainly a positive first step for San Diego State in accomplishing that task.
The question now is who else joins the talented guard in the months to come.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)