May 29, 2014, 5:47 PM EST
With former associate head coach Dana Ford leaving the Illinois State program to take over as head coach at Tennessee State, head coach Dan Muller has a position to fill on his coaching staff. Thursday it was made official that Muller has promoted assistant Torrey Ward, who has been a member of Muller’s staff since the 2012-13 season (Muller’s first), to associate head coach.
In the immediate aftermath of Ford’s departure Ward, who has worked with the Illinois State front court players during his time in Normal, was made the program’s recruiting coordinator according to the Bloomington (Ill.) Pantagraph.
“I am very appreciative of Dan for the confidence that he has in me and for this opportunity to serve as associate head coach,” Ward said in the school release. “This is indeed an honor for me, and I am happy to be a part of the Redbird men’s basketball program.
“I am looking forward to continuing our efforts to take an already-successful program to new heights, while developing our student-athletes to be successful on and off the court.”
Joining Ward on Muller’s staff are assistants Luke Yaklich and Dean Oliver with the latter being hired earlier this month. Oliver played point guard at Iowa from 1997-2001. Illinois State won 18 games and reached the quarterfinals of the CBI last season, falling to eventual champion Siena. The Redbirds return two of their top three scorers from that team, guards Daishon Knight and Bobby Hunter.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)