May 29, 2014, 5:47 PM EST
With former associate head coach Dana Ford leaving the Illinois State program to take over as head coach at Tennessee State, head coach Dan Muller has a position to fill on his coaching staff. Thursday it was made official that Muller has promoted assistant Torrey Ward, who has been a member of Muller’s staff since the 2012-13 season (Muller’s first), to associate head coach.
In the immediate aftermath of Ford’s departure Ward, who has worked with the Illinois State front court players during his time in Normal, was made the program’s recruiting coordinator according to the Bloomington (Ill.) Pantagraph.
“I am very appreciative of Dan for the confidence that he has in me and for this opportunity to serve as associate head coach,” Ward said in the school release. “This is indeed an honor for me, and I am happy to be a part of the Redbird men’s basketball program.
“I am looking forward to continuing our efforts to take an already-successful program to new heights, while developing our student-athletes to be successful on and off the court.”
Joining Ward on Muller’s staff are assistants Luke Yaklich and Dean Oliver with the latter being hired earlier this month. Oliver played point guard at Iowa from 1997-2001. Illinois State won 18 games and reached the quarterfinals of the CBI last season, falling to eventual champion Siena. The Redbirds return two of their top three scorers from that team, guards Daishon Knight and Bobby Hunter.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)