May 29, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
With former associate head coach Dana Ford leaving the Illinois State program to take over as head coach at Tennessee State, head coach Dan Muller has a position to fill on his coaching staff. Thursday it was made official that Muller has promoted assistant Torrey Ward, who has been a member of Muller’s staff since the 2012-13 season (Muller’s first), to associate head coach.
In the immediate aftermath of Ford’s departure Ward, who has worked with the Illinois State front court players during his time in Normal, was made the program’s recruiting coordinator according to the Bloomington (Ill.) Pantagraph.
“I am very appreciative of Dan for the confidence that he has in me and for this opportunity to serve as associate head coach,” Ward said in the school release. “This is indeed an honor for me, and I am happy to be a part of the Redbird men’s basketball program.
“I am looking forward to continuing our efforts to take an already-successful program to new heights, while developing our student-athletes to be successful on and off the court.”
Joining Ward on Muller’s staff are assistants Luke Yaklich and Dean Oliver with the latter being hired earlier this month. Oliver played point guard at Iowa from 1997-2001. Illinois State won 18 games and reached the quarterfinals of the CBI last season, falling to eventual champion Siena. The Redbirds return two of their top three scorers from that team, guards Daishon Knight and Bobby Hunter.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)