May 29, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello has completed the necessary coursework and will receive his undergraduate degree from the University of Kentucky in August, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.
Masiello, one of the rising stars in the college coaching ranks, led Manhattan to the NCAA tournament — its first since 2004 — in only his third season. He had agreed to a deal with South Florida, though, it was later called off after a discrepancy was found during a background check.
On his resume, Masiello claimed he had graduated from Kentucky when in fact he had not. Manhattan allowed Masiello to remain as the head coach, but was put on an unpaid leave until he completed his degree at Kentucky.
“I am extremely grateful and humbled by the opportunity to continue as the head men’s basketball coach at Manhattan College,” Masiello said in the release back in April. “I made a mistake that could have cost me my job at an institution I love. Details matter. Manhattan College has shown me a great deal of compassion and trust during this process, and I will do everything in my power to uphold that trust. I understand that I am very fortunate to have the chance to remain here at Manhattan.”
In three seasons with the Jaspers, Masiello is 60-39. Masiello led his Jaspers into the NCAA tournament against his former coach Rick Pitino. Louisville avoided the upset with a 71-64 win in the Round of 64.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)