May 29, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello has completed the necessary coursework and will receive his undergraduate degree from the University of Kentucky in August, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.
Masiello, one of the rising stars in the college coaching ranks, led Manhattan to the NCAA tournament — its first since 2004 — in only his third season. He had agreed to a deal with South Florida, though, it was later called off after a discrepancy was found during a background check.
On his resume, Masiello claimed he had graduated from Kentucky when in fact he had not. Manhattan allowed Masiello to remain as the head coach, but was put on an unpaid leave until he completed his degree at Kentucky.
“I am extremely grateful and humbled by the opportunity to continue as the head men’s basketball coach at Manhattan College,” Masiello said in the release back in April. “I made a mistake that could have cost me my job at an institution I love. Details matter. Manhattan College has shown me a great deal of compassion and trust during this process, and I will do everything in my power to uphold that trust. I understand that I am very fortunate to have the chance to remain here at Manhattan.”
In three seasons with the Jaspers, Masiello is 60-39. Masiello led his Jaspers into the NCAA tournament against his former coach Rick Pitino. Louisville avoided the upset with a 71-64 win in the Round of 64.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)