May 29, 2014, 12:20 PM EST
Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello has completed the necessary coursework and will receive his undergraduate degree from the University of Kentucky in August, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.
Masiello, one of the rising stars in the college coaching ranks, led Manhattan to the NCAA tournament — its first since 2004 — in only his third season. He had agreed to a deal with South Florida, though, it was later called off after a discrepancy was found during a background check.
On his resume, Masiello claimed he had graduated from Kentucky when in fact he had not. Manhattan allowed Masiello to remain as the head coach, but was put on an unpaid leave until he completed his degree at Kentucky.
“I am extremely grateful and humbled by the opportunity to continue as the head men’s basketball coach at Manhattan College,” Masiello said in the release back in April. “I made a mistake that could have cost me my job at an institution I love. Details matter. Manhattan College has shown me a great deal of compassion and trust during this process, and I will do everything in my power to uphold that trust. I understand that I am very fortunate to have the chance to remain here at Manhattan.”
In three seasons with the Jaspers, Masiello is 60-39. Masiello led his Jaspers into the NCAA tournament against his former coach Rick Pitino. Louisville avoided the upset with a 71-64 win in the Round of 64.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)