May 30, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Butler nabbed a local 2015 commitment on Friday afternoon as 6-foot-6 sharpshooter Sean McDermott announced his commitment to the Bulldogs on his Twitter profile.
McDermott has been a breakout player this spring after the junior had an up-and-down high school season due to a staph infection that left him hospitalized. McDermott lost 17 pounds from the infection and averaged 14.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game in 18 games at Pendleton Heights High School. The three-star prospect, according to Rivals.com shot 34 percent from the three-point line as well.
Butler recruited McDermott hard this spring and offered him during an unofficial visit to campus in early May. Indiana and Purdue were also starting to pay some attention to the local standout and Butler is getting a commitment from a player that comes from the same high school as current Bulldog Kellen Durham.
McDermott averaged 16 points a game in the Under Armour Association this spring and shot 43 percent from three-point range for Grassroots Indiana.
Butler now has commitments from McDermott and Cincinnati big man Nate Fowler this spring in the 2015 class.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)