May 30, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Butler nabbed a local 2015 commitment on Friday afternoon as 6-foot-6 sharpshooter Sean McDermott announced his commitment to the Bulldogs on his Twitter profile.
McDermott has been a breakout player this spring after the junior had an up-and-down high school season due to a staph infection that left him hospitalized. McDermott lost 17 pounds from the infection and averaged 14.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game in 18 games at Pendleton Heights High School. The three-star prospect, according to Rivals.com shot 34 percent from the three-point line as well.
Butler recruited McDermott hard this spring and offered him during an unofficial visit to campus in early May. Indiana and Purdue were also starting to pay some attention to the local standout and Butler is getting a commitment from a player that comes from the same high school as current Bulldog Kellen Durham.
McDermott averaged 16 points a game in the Under Armour Association this spring and shot 43 percent from three-point range for Grassroots Indiana.
Butler now has commitments from McDermott and Cincinnati big man Nate Fowler this spring in the 2015 class.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)