May 30, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Butler nabbed a local 2015 commitment on Friday afternoon as 6-foot-6 sharpshooter Sean McDermott announced his commitment to the Bulldogs on his Twitter profile.
McDermott has been a breakout player this spring after the junior had an up-and-down high school season due to a staph infection that left him hospitalized. McDermott lost 17 pounds from the infection and averaged 14.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game in 18 games at Pendleton Heights High School. The three-star prospect, according to Rivals.com shot 34 percent from the three-point line as well.
Butler recruited McDermott hard this spring and offered him during an unofficial visit to campus in early May. Indiana and Purdue were also starting to pay some attention to the local standout and Butler is getting a commitment from a player that comes from the same high school as current Bulldog Kellen Durham.
McDermott averaged 16 points a game in the Under Armour Association this spring and shot 43 percent from three-point range for Grassroots Indiana.
Butler now has commitments from McDermott and Cincinnati big man Nate Fowler this spring in the 2015 class.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)