May 30, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Butler nabbed a local 2015 commitment on Friday afternoon as 6-foot-6 sharpshooter Sean McDermott announced his commitment to the Bulldogs on his Twitter profile.
McDermott has been a breakout player this spring after the junior had an up-and-down high school season due to a staph infection that left him hospitalized. McDermott lost 17 pounds from the infection and averaged 14.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game in 18 games at Pendleton Heights High School. The three-star prospect, according to Rivals.com shot 34 percent from the three-point line as well.
Butler recruited McDermott hard this spring and offered him during an unofficial visit to campus in early May. Indiana and Purdue were also starting to pay some attention to the local standout and Butler is getting a commitment from a player that comes from the same high school as current Bulldog Kellen Durham.
McDermott averaged 16 points a game in the Under Armour Association this spring and shot 43 percent from three-point range for Grassroots Indiana.
Butler now has commitments from McDermott and Cincinnati big man Nate Fowler this spring in the 2015 class.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)