May 30, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
Since beginning play at the Stephen O’Connell Center (nicknamed the O’Dome) in December 1980, Florida has won more than 77 percent of its home games. There have been changes to the facility in recent years as well, with projects resulting in the addition of video boards and a reconfiguration of the lower level of the building.
During the SEC meetings in Destin, Fla. athletic director Jeremy Foley discussed the next step for the O’Connell Center, with Florida currently in the process of planning major renovations on the building that could cost anywhere from $40-$50 million. Florida is in the midst of a fundraising project to help fund the costs of the renovations.
The renovations (according to the report the building will be “completely gutted”) will result in the basketball (men’s and women’s) and volleyball teams needing to find new homes for the 2015-16 season, which could lead to some interesting scheduling for Billy Donovan’s program.
“Well, you have the volleyball season too, but with those pieces still are being figured out,” Foley said. “But as it relates to basketball you’ll probably have to play around the state. Any home games you’d have to move around to Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, what have you, because the building will not be ready.”
UF coach Billy Donovan said the Gators likely will play two games over three days in select cities in Florida, for a total of seven or eight games.
According to Foley the hope is to have the project completed by January 2016, which would have the Gators back in their remodeled home at the start of conference play.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)