May 30, 2014, 10:41 AM EST
Since beginning play at the Stephen O’Connell Center (nicknamed the O’Dome) in December 1980, Florida has won more than 77 percent of its home games. There have been changes to the facility in recent years as well, with projects resulting in the addition of video boards and a reconfiguration of the lower level of the building.
During the SEC meetings in Destin, Fla. athletic director Jeremy Foley discussed the next step for the O’Connell Center, with Florida currently in the process of planning major renovations on the building that could cost anywhere from $40-$50 million. Florida is in the midst of a fundraising project to help fund the costs of the renovations.
The renovations (according to the report the building will be “completely gutted”) will result in the basketball (men’s and women’s) and volleyball teams needing to find new homes for the 2015-16 season, which could lead to some interesting scheduling for Billy Donovan’s program.
“Well, you have the volleyball season too, but with those pieces still are being figured out,” Foley said. “But as it relates to basketball you’ll probably have to play around the state. Any home games you’d have to move around to Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, what have you, because the building will not be ready.”
UF coach Billy Donovan said the Gators likely will play two games over three days in select cities in Florida, for a total of seven or eight games.
According to Foley the hope is to have the project completed by January 2016, which would have the Gators back in their remodeled home at the start of conference play.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)