May 30, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
The athletic career of former Oklahoma State forward Mason Cox featured multiple roles, as he was the women’s basketball team’s “Brittney Griner” in practices as the team prepared to face Baylor before joining the men’s basketball team as a walk-on. The 6-foot-10 Cox played in just 23 games in three seasons as a Cowboy, with 13 of those appearances coming during the 2013-14 season.
However while a professional career on the basketball court may not have been in the cards for Cox, the chance to play in the Australian Football League presented itself last month. And just over a month after it was reported that Cox performed well during the league’s three-day international combine, Collingwood announced that it has signed the big man to a contract.
“It’s a little crazy. I just went on my first trip to Australia and I’ve signed with a team,” he said on collingwoodfc.com.au.
“I’m very excited about getting started and playing and being introduced to all the players.
“It’s going to be tough. Nothing is going to be easy, nothing is going to be given to you. There’s a lot of hard work ahead.”
There will be an adjustment period of sorts for Cox, but that’s something he’s familiar with based upon his path to joining the Oklahoma State program. Cox didn’t play basketball in high school, instead playing soccer all four years and he was also a member of FC Dallas’ Olympic Development Program squad.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)