May 30, 2014, 1:49 PM EST
The athletic career of former Oklahoma State forward Mason Cox featured multiple roles, as he was the women’s basketball team’s “Brittney Griner” in practices as the team prepared to face Baylor before joining the men’s basketball team as a walk-on. The 6-foot-10 Cox played in just 23 games in three seasons as a Cowboy, with 13 of those appearances coming during the 2013-14 season.
However while a professional career on the basketball court may not have been in the cards for Cox, the chance to play in the Australian Football League presented itself last month. And just over a month after it was reported that Cox performed well during the league’s three-day international combine, Collingwood announced that it has signed the big man to a contract.
“It’s a little crazy. I just went on my first trip to Australia and I’ve signed with a team,” he said on collingwoodfc.com.au.
“I’m very excited about getting started and playing and being introduced to all the players.
“It’s going to be tough. Nothing is going to be easy, nothing is going to be given to you. There’s a lot of hard work ahead.”
There will be an adjustment period of sorts for Cox, but that’s something he’s familiar with based upon his path to joining the Oklahoma State program. Cox didn’t play basketball in high school, instead playing soccer all four years and he was also a member of FC Dallas’ Olympic Development Program squad.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)