May 30, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
With David Cason (VCU) and Yanni Hufnagel (California) moving on to new assistant coaching positions, Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings had two openings to fill on his staff this spring. Friday the news of two new hires was made official by the school, with Adam Cohen (from Harvard) and Derrick Jones (Louisiana Tech) making the move to Nashville.
Cohen spent one season at Harvard, helping head coach Tommy Amaker lead the Crimson to a third consecutive NCAA tournament appearance and a win over Cincinnati in the Round of 64. Prior to joining Amaker’s staff, where he filled the vacancy left when Hufnagel moved from Harvard to Vanderbilt, Cohen was an assistant at Rice for the 2012-13 season.
As for Jones, he arrives at Vanderbilt after having spent the last four seasons on Michael White’s staff at Louisiana Tech. The Bulldogs won 29 games in 2013-14, reaching the title game of the Conference USA tournament and playing in the Postseason NIT.
“I am excited to have Adam Cohen and Derrick Jones join the Commodore basketball family,” Stallings said in the release. “Both are extremely hard workers, great recruiters, and good men, and have very impressive backgrounds. We look forward to these men interacting and mentoring our current players, and helping me find the next generation of Commodore basketball on the recruiting trail. We are thrilled to have them and their families in Nashville.”
Cohen and Jones join Tom Richardson on Stallings’ staff heading into the 2014-15 season. Richardson has been with the Vanderbilt program since 2003.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1