May 31, 2014, 9:39 PM EST
Friday afternoon the 18th Annual Coaches vs. Cancer Golf Tournament was played at the Penn State Blue and White golf courses, with more than 300 golfers signing up for a good cause. Also taking part in the event were former pro Ron Harper and Penn State head coach Patrick Chambers, with the cause being an especially personal one for the head coach.
How personal? In a story written by Ben Jones of StateCollege.com about the event, it’s mentioned that Chambers’ older brother Gregory passed away from the disease (lung cancer) on March 18. This wasn’t a situation made public by Chambers or anyone within the Penn State basketball family, with the head coach preferring to keep the news private.
What also stands out about the story is the bond shared by Chambers and rising senior guard D.J. Newbill, whose mother passed away from cancer in 2012. The relationship between the two has been an especially close one, with the two supporting each other in their respective times of need.
“But I feel like the relationship we have now we can talk about anything, talk about our feelings, talking about our emotions, talking about what we’re going through and how we can get through it,” Chambers said. “And how we can make peace with everything and understand why. I think that’s the biggest question to caregivers is “why?” Why is it happening to me why, is it happening to him, why is it happening to his wife? Why did it happen to DJ and his family? So I think we have an open line of communication like that and it can only be therapeutic and helpful.”
The full story can be read here.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)