May 31, 2014, 9:39 PM EST
Friday afternoon the 18th Annual Coaches vs. Cancer Golf Tournament was played at the Penn State Blue and White golf courses, with more than 300 golfers signing up for a good cause. Also taking part in the event were former pro Ron Harper and Penn State head coach Patrick Chambers, with the cause being an especially personal one for the head coach.
How personal? In a story written by Ben Jones of StateCollege.com about the event, it’s mentioned that Chambers’ older brother Gregory passed away from the disease (lung cancer) on March 18. This wasn’t a situation made public by Chambers or anyone within the Penn State basketball family, with the head coach preferring to keep the news private.
What also stands out about the story is the bond shared by Chambers and rising senior guard D.J. Newbill, whose mother passed away from cancer in 2012. The relationship between the two has been an especially close one, with the two supporting each other in their respective times of need.
“But I feel like the relationship we have now we can talk about anything, talk about our feelings, talking about our emotions, talking about what we’re going through and how we can get through it,” Chambers said. “And how we can make peace with everything and understand why. I think that’s the biggest question to caregivers is “why?” Why is it happening to me why, is it happening to him, why is it happening to his wife? Why did it happen to DJ and his family? So I think we have an open line of communication like that and it can only be therapeutic and helpful.”
The full story can be read here.
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)