May 31, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
After playing an average of just 4.4 minutes per game as a freshman, point guard Shane Rector made the decision to leave the Missouri basketball program. A product of St. Raymond’s HS in the Bronx, Rector’s chances of earning more playing time under new head coach Kim Anderson didn’t look too promising with the addition of Hawaii transfer Keith Shamburger and the return of fellow rising sophomore Wes Clark.
However now that the decision to find a new school has been made, Rector’s begun the process and according to Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com four schools stand out in the eyes of the point guard. Those schools: Boston College, Drexel, La Salle and St. John’s. Rector said the following to Zagoria regarding those four programs:
“Those are the four I’m considering right now,” he said. “I’m still open to new stuff, though.”
Obviously based upon that quote the four schools mentioned above shouldn’t be considered the “finalists” for Rector, with the player himself noting that he’d be open to conversations with other schools. But clearly they stand out at present time, and each team could use Rector with an eye towards the 2015-16 season as he’d likely have to sit out the 2014-15 campaign per NCAA transfer rules.
Boston College returns Olivier Hanlan this season after he considered entering the 2014 NBA Draft, so there’s obviously the need to prepare for the possibility of Hanlan moving on to the next level after his junior campaign. As for Drexel the Dragons lost both Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat from the 2013-14 team, leaving Tavon Allen and Damion Lee (who missed all of last season with a torn ACL) as their best perimeter options.
La Salle also lost key contributors on the perimeter at the end of the 2013-14 season with Tyreek Duren, Tyrone Garland and Sam Mills all out of eligibility. But the Explorers add some key transfers to the rotation, including Jordan Price (Auburn) and Cleon Roberts (Georgia Southern). And St. John’s has three seniors in its expected perimeter rotation, including D’Angelo Harrison, so the Red Storm will have some holes to fill as well.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)
- Two new regular season college hoops events headed to Vegas (1)