Jun 1, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
New Washington State head coach Ernie Kent has been active when it comes to recruiting 2014 prospects, especially on the perimeter, and the Cougars’ class grew by a player Sunday with the commitment of 5-foot-10 point guard Trevor Dunbar (subscription required). The news was first reported by Braulio Perez of Scout.com.
A native of San Francisco, Dunbar attended St. Ignatius College Prep, where he posted averages of 22 points, six assists and three rebounds per game. For his efforts Dunbar was named West Catholic Athletic League Player of the Year. Dunbar’s a highly entertaining player, and his creativity was a quality St. Ignatius head coach Tim Reardon discussed in an article written earlier this spring.
Reardon has seen his share of great players in the WCAL, “including John Duggan ’92 and the Gordon brothers [Drew and Aaron], but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with the kind of creativity of Trevor Dunbar. He’s going to make some D1 college very happy, as he makes practices fun for his teammates, he makes games fun for the spectators, and he has the ability to make his coaches into fans.”
Dunbar is Washington State’s fourth commitment in the 2014 class, joining fellow guards Jackie Davis and Nyaires Redding and junior college forward Aaron Cheatum. The Cougars, who finished the 2013-14 season with an overall record of 10-21 (3-15 Pac-12), return high-scoring guard DaVonte’ Lacy (19.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg) and wing Que Johnson (9.5, 2.4).
However they will have to account for the departures of forward D.J. Shelton (graduation) and guard Royce Woolridge (transferred to Grand Canyon).
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)