Jun 1, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
New Washington State head coach Ernie Kent has been active when it comes to recruiting 2014 prospects, especially on the perimeter, and the Cougars’ class grew by a player Sunday with the commitment of 5-foot-10 point guard Trevor Dunbar (subscription required). The news was first reported by Braulio Perez of Scout.com.
A native of San Francisco, Dunbar attended St. Ignatius College Prep, where he posted averages of 22 points, six assists and three rebounds per game. For his efforts Dunbar was named West Catholic Athletic League Player of the Year. Dunbar’s a highly entertaining player, and his creativity was a quality St. Ignatius head coach Tim Reardon discussed in an article written earlier this spring.
Reardon has seen his share of great players in the WCAL, “including John Duggan ’92 and the Gordon brothers [Drew and Aaron], but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with the kind of creativity of Trevor Dunbar. He’s going to make some D1 college very happy, as he makes practices fun for his teammates, he makes games fun for the spectators, and he has the ability to make his coaches into fans.”
Dunbar is Washington State’s fourth commitment in the 2014 class, joining fellow guards Jackie Davis and Nyaires Redding and junior college forward Aaron Cheatum. The Cougars, who finished the 2013-14 season with an overall record of 10-21 (3-15 Pac-12), return high-scoring guard DaVonte’ Lacy (19.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg) and wing Que Johnson (9.5, 2.4).
However they will have to account for the departures of forward D.J. Shelton (graduation) and guard Royce Woolridge (transferred to Grand Canyon).
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)