Jun 1, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The recruiting story of 2014 forward Marvin Clark is one that many college basketball players have experienced on their way to picking a school. A portion of the process is the struggle that comes with having to figure out if the schools looking to land your signature on a National Letter of Intent are telling you what they feel you want to hear or what you truly need to hear.
However Clark’s overall story isn’t solely about basketball due to the desire to help his family, which has gone through tough times throughout his childhood. That desire serves as Clark’s greatest motivation to not only earn a scholarship, but to wind up at a school where he would be able to thrive from the start.
Brad Wolverton of The Chronicle for Higher Education spent time with Clark throughout the recruiting process, telling the story of a player who feared his chances of earning a scholarship slipped away due to a broken foot but managed to work his way back into the prospect many high-level schools were interested in signing.
Ultimately Clark would pick Michigan State, where he’ll have the opportunity to earn playing time in the front court. This is a good read to say the least, with the story illustrating the many aspects (and influences) of the recruiting “game” that a player such as Clark has to navigate throughout the process.
The full story can be read here.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)