Jun 1, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The recruiting story of 2014 forward Marvin Clark is one that many college basketball players have experienced on their way to picking a school. A portion of the process is the struggle that comes with having to figure out if the schools looking to land your signature on a National Letter of Intent are telling you what they feel you want to hear or what you truly need to hear.
However Clark’s overall story isn’t solely about basketball due to the desire to help his family, which has gone through tough times throughout his childhood. That desire serves as Clark’s greatest motivation to not only earn a scholarship, but to wind up at a school where he would be able to thrive from the start.
Brad Wolverton of The Chronicle for Higher Education spent time with Clark throughout the recruiting process, telling the story of a player who feared his chances of earning a scholarship slipped away due to a broken foot but managed to work his way back into the prospect many high-level schools were interested in signing.
Ultimately Clark would pick Michigan State, where he’ll have the opportunity to earn playing time in the front court. This is a good read to say the least, with the story illustrating the many aspects (and influences) of the recruiting “game” that a player such as Clark has to navigate throughout the process.
The full story can be read here.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)