Jun 1, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The recruiting story of 2014 forward Marvin Clark is one that many college basketball players have experienced on their way to picking a school. A portion of the process is the struggle that comes with having to figure out if the schools looking to land your signature on a National Letter of Intent are telling you what they feel you want to hear or what you truly need to hear.
However Clark’s overall story isn’t solely about basketball due to the desire to help his family, which has gone through tough times throughout his childhood. That desire serves as Clark’s greatest motivation to not only earn a scholarship, but to wind up at a school where he would be able to thrive from the start.
Brad Wolverton of The Chronicle for Higher Education spent time with Clark throughout the recruiting process, telling the story of a player who feared his chances of earning a scholarship slipped away due to a broken foot but managed to work his way back into the prospect many high-level schools were interested in signing.
Ultimately Clark would pick Michigan State, where he’ll have the opportunity to earn playing time in the front court. This is a good read to say the least, with the story illustrating the many aspects (and influences) of the recruiting “game” that a player such as Clark has to navigate throughout the process.
The full story can be read here.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)