Jun 1, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The recruiting story of 2014 forward Marvin Clark is one that many college basketball players have experienced on their way to picking a school. A portion of the process is the struggle that comes with having to figure out if the schools looking to land your signature on a National Letter of Intent are telling you what they feel you want to hear or what you truly need to hear.
However Clark’s overall story isn’t solely about basketball due to the desire to help his family, which has gone through tough times throughout his childhood. That desire serves as Clark’s greatest motivation to not only earn a scholarship, but to wind up at a school where he would be able to thrive from the start.
Brad Wolverton of The Chronicle for Higher Education spent time with Clark throughout the recruiting process, telling the story of a player who feared his chances of earning a scholarship slipped away due to a broken foot but managed to work his way back into the prospect many high-level schools were interested in signing.
Ultimately Clark would pick Michigan State, where he’ll have the opportunity to earn playing time in the front court. This is a good read to say the least, with the story illustrating the many aspects (and influences) of the recruiting “game” that a player such as Clark has to navigate throughout the process.
The full story can be read here.
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)