Jun 1, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
The Florida and Miami athletic departments continue discussing the possibility of renewing the in-state rivalry.
Two weeks ago, it was reported both athletic directors were “receptive” to schedule one another in football, although, the games would have to be played at neutral sites.
On Saturday afternoon, multiple outlets reported that the Gators and Hurricanes were in talks for a home-and-home series on the hardwood. Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald was the first to report the potential series while Matt Porter of the Palm Beach Post confirmed the likelihood of this deal being completed.
A UM source said a home-and-home series between the Hurricanes and Gators is “in the works,” but has not been finalized.
However, asked to put a percentage on the chances of a UM-UF series happening, the UM source said “100.”
According to Porter’s sources, the first game would be played in Gainesville this season, followed by a rematch scheduled next season in Coral Gables.
The Gators made another deep run into the NCAA tournament this March, getting past the Elite 8 after three tries for Billy Donovan’s fourth Final Four appearance. The Hurricanes stumbled toward the bottom half of the conference standings after winning the ACC regular season and tournament titles in 2012-2013.
Florida will lose SEC Player of the Year Scottie Wilbekin, Patric Young and Casey Prather, but should still be a top 15 team. Miami is poised for a bounce-back season as its back court will be bolstered by the additions of transfers Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan.
The last time these two teams met in basketball was during the second round of 2009 NIT. Florida won 74-60. The Gators and Hurricanes most recent regular season contest was in Dec. 2005 with Florida earning a 77-67 victory.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)