Jun 1, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
On May 21, the Pac-12 presidents issued a letter to the other four power conferences, listing 10 key objectives for reform. While objectives included strengthening Academic Progress Report requirements and providing proper medical care for injuries student-athletes suffered during practice or competition, the proposed change regarding the “one-and-done” rule grab the most attention.
The NBA age requirement is currently 19-years-old. If the NBA fails to raise that age limit, Pac-12 presidents have proposed this change:
7. Address the “one and done” phenomenon in men’s basketball. If the National Basketball Association and its Players Association are unable to agree on raising the age limit for players, consider restoring the freshman ineligibility rule in men’s basketball.
Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar appeared on KJR’s Elise and Jerry late this week to discuss the proposed reform. During the interview, Romar provided reasons as to why the change would not be effective (transcribed by Percy Allen of the Seattle Times):
“That rule if it was in place this past year, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins and Julius Randle, those guys would sit out and practice everyday,” Romar said. “The NBA guys come and watch practice and then they draft them anyway after their freshman year without playing a game. That’s what I think would happen.
“Back when you could come out of high school they were drafting kids before they practiced in college. They drafted them straight out of high school so that’s not going to prevent them from still coming out after a year.”
The letter ended by requesting a response by June 4.
[h/t The Dagger]
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)