Jun 1, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
With their highest-scoring perimeter returnee averaging just 9.0 points per game last season (Alex Caruso), one issue that Texas A&M needed to address with an eye towards the future was the number of scoring options they have at the guard positions. According to multiple outlets head coach Billy Kennedy and his staff have done so via the transfer market, with former Houston guard Danuel House making the decision to join the Aggie program.
As a sophomore House, who along with forward TaShawn Thomas made the decision to leave the Houston program following the departure of head coach James Dickey, averaged 13.6 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. House shot 42.8% from the field and 33.3% from three last season, with his best offensive performance coming in a the Cougars’ season-opening win over Texas State (24 points).
House may have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, but it was reported back in April that he would request a waiver to be allowed to play immediately. If that request is denied, House have two years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2015-16 campaign.
Interestingly enough it was also reported in April that both House and Thomas were prohibited by Houston from transferring to another program in Texas as a condition of their respective releases. Thomas eventually landed at Oklahoma, and according to some reports Texas A&M was the lone in-state school to be granted a release with regards to House.
“I will appeal that one,” House told Mark Berman of FOX 26 Sports at the time. “I feel they don’t want me to be really successful in the state of Texas unless I am at UH, and it really hurts my heart that they feel that way.”
Clearly something has changed since that point in time, and the hope for Texas A&M is that not only will House be able to give them a boost on the perimeter but he’ll be able to do so immediately.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)